Menu

Finishing homeschooling blues

My one and only daughter graduates on May 15th from high school. We didn't homeschool all the way, but we did homeschool in 5th grade and then from 8th-11th. She has been taking all dual enrollment classes for her senior year. Although I am thrilled with how homeschooling went for us, I'm also sad it is coming to an end. Does anyone else feel this way?

Congratulations! 

And yes, it is a bittersweet time for parents who have poured so much of their lives and energies into not only parenting, but also educating the children. We are so happy and excited for what comes next for our children. But it is also hard seeing the door close at the end of an intense, special, wonderful season of life.

Homeschooling was the hardest/best job I've ever done, and I poured so much into it (and received so much from it), that it was very natural to grieve the end of something so intense and special, while simultaneously rejoicing for my young adults. While it is not exactly the same, I have continued to be involved in homeschooling in a new capacity, as a mentor to moms at all stages of the homeschooling journey, and by teaching classes at my homeschool group's co-op. Other homeschool parents go on and do completely new things -- return to the workforce, get a degree, do volunteer work, start a new interest/passion/hobby or really run with a long-standing interest that has had to be put on hold for awhile.

In case it helps, here are a few past threads on this same topic, all linked on PAGE 5 (under the subheading of "Heading to College Topics") of the big pinned thread "College Motherlode" at the top of the WTM College Board:

It hits me when I lease expect it
Having a hard time letting go
Can you avoid the empty nest syndrome?

BEST wishes to your DD as she moves into her next stage, and for YOU, as you find new doors opening into new wonderful opportunities for YOU! Warmest regards, Lori D.

• Like 4

I'm right here with you. L finished up classes in April, and I've requested the diploma and final transcripts sent. We're doing an open house on the 22nd, and a regional homeschool grad in June. (the big homeschool group is graduating here tomorrow, but we chose to do a smaller one that was more covid aware).