Menu

It hits me when I least expect it

Nancy in NH

The tears.  I'm sitting here, in public, no less, working on something that I can't stand doing--writing course descriptions to accompany DD's transcript for her college app's--and it hit me.  I'm doing this for the last time.  I should be celebrating that I won't ever have to write another course description, that I'll never have to worry that I'm not doing a good enough job with it.  And then WHAM!  I'm feeling emotional and I can't hold back the tears.  I'm excited for my daughter, of course, and I know we'll all adjust.  As I contemplate what comes next for DD, I can't help but wonder what comes next for me, too.  The big unanswered question--what am I going to do when it's over?

Maybe I ought to work on FAFSA & CSS Profile at home, to avoid another hide-my-tears-from-the-general-public moment.  I'm sure I'll be crying for more than one reason...!

I wish, for those of you facing facing similar conflicting feelings, peace and joy as you travel the last steps of your homeschooling journey.  I know I'm going to cherish mine.

Nancy in NH

• Like 8

Hugs.  I’m getting so very close to where you are, and I’m so very aware of it.  I’m doing my best to wring as much out of every moment I have with both boys being at home together. It’s all so fleeting.  I’ve been noticing little kids lately and longing so hard to go back and do it all over again.  I don’t want this precious time with us all together to end.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Garga said:

Hugs.  I’m getting so very close to where you are, and I’m so very aware of it.  I’m doing my best to wring as much out of every moment I have with both boys being at home together. It’s all so fleeting.  I’ve been noticing little kids lately and longing so hard to go back and do it all over again.  I don’t want this precious time with us all together to end.

Yes, such a precious time.  I'm right with ya--seeing little kids lately makes me longing for those days.  Maybe I'll be a homeschooling grandmother someday!  One can hope!

• Like 2

It is sad. Yesterday we got an email from dd's cover school with the "Senior Packet." But my first thought was that I'm not ready to go through all this graduation and university application stuff again so soon. We had a good first week back to homeschool but I realize that I need to brush up on my Calculus skills pronto. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I hear ya. My last child is at college now. We've texted a few times, she called to tell me she got into a higher orchestra than she expected, and before that, she called for an hour last week. It's been weird. I can't settle. I can't pack my house (and I can't say more about that...yet! lol). I AM launching into a new adventure, and NOTHING will be the same. It is so hard, I am paralyzed. But I feel peace about dd behind the tears, and I'm so stinkin' proud of her (to reference another thread on chat...hahah)!

At times I feel the weight and yes, profundity of the passages we go through as parents. At other times, I'm so busy, it passes by with no reflection on my part. I am not sure which is better. 

Hugs to you, mama. Hugs to all the mamas. 

• Like 3