Menu

After Singapore Math Primary, US Edition?

Janeway

We are on 6A of Singapore Math Primary US edition. I am trying to decide what to do next year. I am unsure if we will go on and finish 6B and then look to go elsewhere, or if I will seek to have us just start whatever we are moving on to in the fall. I know in the past, when we finished through 6B, we just moved on to algebra. I am also considering Dimensions Math. But I am unsure what DM will count as. As in, when done with DM 7 and 8, do you just go on to algebra 2? Or will you still need geometry? And if I switch to an American program, it will be either Dolciani Structure and Method or Jacob's Algebra. I also have Foersters. I am open to other programs. I am also thinking if I switch to an American program, maybe I should consider preAlgebra in between, but not decided yet. 

Edited by Janeway

I’m wondering the same thing. My 5th grader is finishing Dimensions 6B now, and we plan to stay with Dimensions for 7&8. He is getting everything pretty easily and the format is working for us. We always run 2 math programs, so I’ll probably have him do Life of Fred pre algebra independently and/or add in some problems from AOPS. 

3rd grader is finishing Primary 5B now—I’m thinking of keeping him in Primary 6 next year, but then will be in the same boat—do Dimensions 6 or go straight to 7?

Here is what my kids did:

Kid 1: Singapore Primary through 5B, then Arbor Algebra (Jousting Armadillos, etc), Jacob's Geometry, Foerster Algebra 2, College Class

Kid 2: Singapore Primary through 5B then AOPS Pre-algebra and continued the AOPS series

Kid 3: Singapore Primary through 5B then Dimensions 6-7. We plan on doing 8 next year and then probably Jacobs Geometry. (Dimensions does Algebra 1 and some Geometry). I switched to Dimensions for 6 because it was a more thorough program.

If you go on to Dimensions 7 or Jacobs Algebra, there may be a few topics you need to add in like Negative numbers, Pythagorean theorem etc. But I think either plan is doable.

• Like 2