Menu

History of the World Grading?

I have searched the forms for anything on The History of the World books but I can't find anything... which seems odd since this is The Well-Trained Mind. 🤔

I'm planning on having my high school kids go through History of the Medieval World this fall but there doesn't seem to be any tests or quizzes... and no grading metrics from what I've seen in the workbook. 

Has anyone used HOTW and if so how did you go about grading your kiddo? Does anyone know if there are tests hidden somewhere (personal or professional)?

Welcome! I see by your post count that you are new.

The Well-Trained Mind online store (on this website) sells a study guide for each of the 3 History of the ____ World texts by Susan Wise-Bauer. Each guide "...provides a full curriculum with study questions and answers, critical thinking assignments, essay topics, instructor rubrics, and test forms. Explanations for answers and teaching tips are also included."

study guide - History of the Ancient World 
study guide - History of the Medieval World
study guide - History of the Renaissance World

Hope that helps!

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

Welcome! I see by your post count that you are new.

The Well-Trained Mind online store (on this website) sells a study guide for each of the 3 History of the ____ World texts by Susan Wise-Bauer. Each guide "...provides a full curriculum with study questions and answers, critical thinking assignments, essay topics, instructor rubrics, and test forms. Explanations for answers and teaching tips are also included."

study guide - History of the Ancient World 
study guide - History of the Medieval World
study guide - History of the Renaissance World

Hope that helps!

I have the study guide (medieval world). There are no test forms in Medieval's study guide (it's not listed on the site's description as having test forms either. Tests seem to only be on Ancient... 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, spritzey said:

Tests seem to only be on Ancient... 

I have the HotAW guide, no obvious test forms in there. Maybe it is a typo in the description. The beginning of the study guide suggests three different ways you could use the book, including one that suggests an essay test. I've never seen anyone mention putting together tests for those books.

My high schoolers have completed the first two books and are in the middle of the third. History is not a subject where i care to see a lot of rote learning. I'm looking for comprehension, connections and patterns. I suppose they could demonstrate those with essay tests, but we find it more enjoyable to just have discussions about what they have read. Every week they do three chapters, read; do all the Who, What, Wheres, answer all the Comprehension questions; and course one critical thinking exercise to complete and discuss. 

Grades are assigned based on completing all assigned work satisfactorily. History is nobody's main area of focus, so we try to keep it fun and relevant and save "official tests" for math and science.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SusanC said:

I have the HotAW guide, no obvious test forms in there. Maybe it is a typo in the description. The beginning of the study guide suggests three different ways you could use the book, including one that suggests an essay test. I've never seen anyone mention putting together tests for those books.

My high schoolers have completed the first two books and are in the middle of the third. History is not a subject where i care to see a lot of rote learning. I'm looking for comprehension, connections and patterns. I suppose they could demonstrate those with essay tests, but we find it more enjoyable to just have discussions about what they have read. Every week they do three chapters, read; do all the Who, What, Wheres, answer all the Comprehension questions; and course one critical thinking exercise to complete and discuss. 

Grades are assigned based on completing all assigned work satisfactorily. History is nobody's main area of focus, so we try to keep it fun and relevant and save "official tests" for math and science.

Thank you, it's nice to hear how someone is actually using it! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, spritzey said:

...I have the study guide (medieval world). There are no test forms in Medieval's study guide (it's not listed on the site's description as having test forms either. Tests seem to only be on Ancient... 

1 hour ago, SusanC said:

I have the HotAW guide, no obvious test forms in there. Maybe it is a typo in the description...

Well that is frustrating! Sorry about that, @spritzey. 😩