Menu

Present ideas for my techno-sci-fi-gamer-comic-geeky hubby?

I've gotten great ideas from the boards in years past.... any new ones?

The best idea I have thus far is to get him a sculpted figure made from his favorite RockBand character, but I'll have to get him to help me do that, so it wouldn't be a surprise. He loves surprises.

Usually I do books, video games, etc. Last year I had a Dr. Who theme (t-shirts, sonic screwdriver, etc). I'm stumped. Help me, Obi Wan!

My husband is a fan of some online comics. One year he purchased the original panel from one of his favorite comic artists to give as a gift. (The comic was perfect for his sister-in-law.) The beauty of this is that you are also supporting an often starving artist.

My gaming son is getting Monty Python Fluxx this year as well as a Steve Jackson game. My husband will get The Best American Comics 2008 (click here. This is a gift that I have been giving him annually for the last couple of years--don't know how long it has been around.

Best,

Jane

Thanks! Great minds think alike-- I got him a bunch of stuff from ThinkGeek last year. But I know that he's perused their catalog recently... so I'm looking even farther afield. ThinkGeek is my fall-back though--if I don't have another brilliant idea soon, he's getting a lot of things from there again.

Well, dh *loved* his Make Your Own Monster kit from FAO Schwarz. He enjoyed creating the character, and they did a really fantastic job turning it into a large, plush creature. That said, they keep the rights to the design after you send it in, so you can't send in a design you plan to use for other purposes as well...

I got him a great wool scarf with Atari-era game sprites knitted in a few years ago. Unfortunately, I have no idea what the website was. Something in Germany... The scarf is beautiful in its own right though, and it's perfect for him. (Of course, lol, he probably doesn't have much use for a scarf though, huh? Ian travels enough that it's worthwhile... And this week it's frigid here in Hotlanta!)

Sometimes Uncommon Goods has something interesting... If he's a t-shirt wearer, check out Glarkware... And you've seen http://www.quantummechanix.com ? They have *beautiful* Battlestar Galactica propaganda posters and other interesting things. (Although I think ThinkGeek started carrying the posters too...)

He wants a Drobo.

For about $500 you could make my geek of a hubby drool. That is for the second generation drobo. The first generation drobo's can be had for $329. I can explain if you want. If your hubby has more than one computer and more than one external hard drive, then he'd probably like a drobo too.

If he doesn't have more than one external hard drive, then I recommend a cute external hard drive like the 500G Western Digital passport that I have - those can be had for less than $150.

If you want to spend more - or less or don't like these, I can probably recommend something, just give me a price range.