Menu

BA 5 +Understanding Pre Algebra by Critical Thinking OR Singapore Standards 6?

Did anyone use Understanding Pre Algebra by Critical Thinking co? Right now my child is doing Singapore Math Standards 5 along with BA 4 and should be done by Summer. He will continue on BA5 for rest of the year or longer if needed. I can't seem to decide if i want to continue with SM6 since i heard it's mostly a review and also SMLive states kids can move from SM 5 to pre algebra. 

My child is mostly independent with math if he doesn't understand anything we go through it or he watches math antics videos. We love everything by critical thinking (he started Balance Math teaches Algebra recently and is liking it very much) so i stumbled upon their prealgebra book and started wondering if i need to add that to BA 5 instead of singapore math. 

Goal for us is to try AOPS pre algebra after BA5 so was wondering what might prepare him well for AOPS. 

My child just turned 10 and will be in 5th grade for 2021-22 school yr. 

Thank you!!!

• Homeschooler_CH changed the title to BA 5 +Understanding Pre Algebra by Critical Thinking OR Singapore Standards 6?

I can't speak to the Critical Thinking Co math, but BA5 in and of itself is excellent preparation for AOPS Pre-Algebra.  My two middle boys only did BA with no supplements and were ready for AOPS.   I'm planning to use some other materials during/after BA5 with my youngest, but that is mostly because is he doing BA5 at a very young age (He's 9/3rd grade and just starting BA 5B) and is also dyslexic and dysgraphic so he will not be ready soon enough for the language challenges that a wordy textbook like AOPS will present.  But I haven't decided what else I will do with him. 

• Like 3

Thank you Kirsten for sharing your expereince. So far we have done them in parallel (BA online and SM workbook) and it's been working well for us so i'm looking forward to continue with same format book and online. 

It's reassuring to know that BA 5 should be enough for AOPS. I might read up more and see what others might be using.

Both of my kids did Singapore 6 but both finished it more quickly.  One chose to do it all in the first semester, while the other did 6A in the fall and 6B in the spring but had several weeks at the end of each to work on other math that we choose (Life of Fred fractions review, Critical Thinking Company Balance Benders books).  One could have skipped it, content-wise, but they were young and probably needed the time to mature before moving to a textbook-  they were working several grades ahead.  The other was helped by the math review.  But, for some kids, it would be fine to skip.  

• Like 2

On 3/7/2021 at 4:05 PM, kirstenhill said:

I can't speak to the Critical Thinking Co math, but BA5 in and of itself is excellent preparation for AOPS Pre-Algebra.  My two middle boys only did BA with no supplements and were ready for AOPS.   I'm planning to use some other materials during/after BA5 with my youngest, but that is mostly because is he doing BA5 at a very young age (He's 9/3rd grade and just starting BA 5B) and is also dyslexic and dysgraphic so he will not be ready soon enough for the language challenges that a wordy textbook like AOPS will present.  But I haven't decided what else I will do with him. 

I would love to keep in touch as your youngest moves through AOPS PreA! My newly-8yr old DS is in 4B now, so he’s almost exactly a year behind yours in both age & pace. He isn’t dyslexic or dysgraphic, but does have ADHD which provides similar challenges re: verbose textbook-style learning. 

Currently I plan to try AOPS PreA after BA5, but I’m building up a Plan B in case that doesn’t work in either the short- or long-term. 💭 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm in a similar spot and decided to go with Singapore 6. The main reason is because I'm sure he doesn't have the focus needed to sit through the AOPS books without me and I simply don't have time to sit with him. I do teach new concepts and help with foundational skills but not everyday. This way he can firm up on anything spotty and whatever he goes to next will be easier despite his young age.

• Like 1

I’m in a very similar boat in that DD is doing Beast4 via a class but instead of Singapore she’s doing Russian Math 5. Both classes end in June and I’ve been advised to do just Beast 5, and then prealgebra. I’m nervous to do this so I ordered the Intensive Practice Singapore 6 books...we will see if I actually use them, I wouldn’t bet real money on it...

• Like 1

My smallest has been using Beast since grade 3 and is nearing level 5. We're planning on Singapore and Zaccaro books on the side. MOEMS practice problems randomly as we feel like it. He did Hands on Equations earlier this year too. 

• Like 1