Menu

R&S phonics question

Servant4Christ

Rod and Staff phonics stands alone.   I have used it with all of my kids.  It is over 1st and 2nd grade.  In first grade I have often used the reading program, just because I like it as a starting to read place.  But in 2nd we ditch the reading program and do just the phonics and the English.  In 1st grade R&S the spelling is integrated with the phonics program and what little intro to grammar there is is in the Reading section and the additional worksheets.  But in 2nd grade, all parts are completely separate and you can choose just which you like and pair with anything else.  I hope that is somewhat clear.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, 2_girls_mommy said:

Rod and Staff phonics stands alone.   I have used it with all of my kids.  It is over 1st and 2nd grade.  In first grade I have often used the reading program, just because I like it as a starting to read place.  But in 2nd we ditch the reading program and do just the phonics and the English.  In 1st grade R&S the spelling is integrated with the phonics program and what little intro to grammar there is is in the Reading section and the additional worksheets.  But in 2nd grade, all parts are completely separate and you can choose just which you like and pair with anything else.  I hope that is somewhat clear.

Thank you! I was hoping you'd see this thread and respond. I have 2nd grade English and spelling already and was really trying to figure out first grade stuff so I can start buying backwards in curriculum. I used CLE with my oldest and switched in third grade. I really liked CLE's learning to read program but not their language arts and there doesn't seem to be a good way to separate them. Wouldn't be a big deal if they used the same phonetic symbols as R&S, but of course they don't. May I ask what you use for reading beyond grade 1? I like the concept of the BNRS, but not their nonresistant stance which presents itself in both their reading and history programs.

Edited by Servant4Christ

7 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

Thank you! I was hoping you'd see this thread and respond. I have 2nd grade English and spelling already and was really trying to figure out first grade stuff so I can start buying backwards in curriculum. I used CLE with my oldest and switched in third grade. I really liked CLE's learning to read program but not their language arts and there doesn't seem to be a good way to separate them. Wouldn't be a big deal if they used the same phonetic symbols as R&S, but of course they don't. May I ask what you use for reading beyond grade 1? I like the concept of the BNRS, but not their nonresistant stance which presents itself in both their reading and history programs.

We are very WTM.  So we just move into real books that line up with our SOTW and WTM lit suggestions, no workbooks or anything.  The R&S English is so good.  My kids did it all the way into high school, and mom brag, my odd got a perfect score on her reading and English sections of ACT 🙂 I think a lot of that was her Latin and her R&S grammar.  This time around I have the 2nd grade Bible readers that I picked up used, so I plan to have dd7 read them when she finishes grade 1 reading.  But I will have her use them for read aloud practice. 

So her 2nd grade is lining up as finish R&S 1st grade reading/phonics/worksheets (because we only do a couple of lessons of each a week.  We don't do these everyday because we do so much other reading and writing) then move into the 2nd grade phonics, 2nd grade English, 2nd grade Spelling, and just the readers, no workbooks whenever we finish those up- so basically the whole LA line up, just no reading workbooks, extra worksheets, and no handwriting.  I did their handwriting before, but do not like it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We seem to have a lot in common. I don't care for their handwriting either. I taught Oldest D'Nealian and plan on doing the same for the youngers, too. This is the first year I've forgone a reading curriculum and just selected a bunch of books that line up with our history curriculum and it's been Oldest's favorite. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 2_girls_mommy said:

We are very WTM.  So we just move into real books that line up with our SOTW and WTM lit suggestions, no workbooks or anything.  The R&S English is so good.  My kids did it all the way into high school, and mom brag, my odd got a perfect score on her reading and English sections of ACT 🙂 I think a lot of that was her Latin and her R&S grammar.  This time around I have the 2nd grade Bible readers that I picked up used, so I plan to have dd7 read them when she finishes grade 1 reading.  But I will have her use them for read aloud practice. 

So her 2nd grade is lining up as finish R&S 1st grade reading/phonics/worksheets (because we only do a couple of lessons of each a week.  We don't do these everyday because we do so much other reading and writing) then move into the 2nd grade phonics, 2nd grade English, 2nd grade Spelling, and just the readers, no workbooks whenever we finish those up- so basically the whole LA line up, just no reading workbooks, extra worksheets, and no handwriting.  I did their handwriting before, but do not like it. 

I'd be shouting that from the rooftops!  Well done, dd and to you!.

• Like 2