Menu

Sonlight vs bookshark?

Toska

I am considering Sonlight/ bookshark DE for my 12yo dd  next year for grade 8.  She has moderate dyslexia and prefers “real” books to a textbook since she can often find them on audio.  We have been pretty unschooly for History and lit up to this point, but she is asking for more.

I am wondering about the religious flavor of sonlight. We are Christians, but pretty liberal and try to avoid providential views of history.  That said, my dd is interested in some of the religious sounding books, so I thought I’d ask here.

thanks for any feedback

I haven't looked at Sonlight or Bookshark for that particular grade, but did you know they're the same company?  They started out focussed on supplying curriculum to missionary families in developing countries, became popular with Stateside homeschoolers as well, and then introduced the Bookshark line for people who like their approach but either want a secular approach or want to add their own specific flavour of religion.  Both websites have a "what's included" tab for each level, so you can click in and see precisely what's in the package.  You can look at Amazon or something for more information about the titles, and you can de-select any that you already own or just don't want.

Are you just making a plan for the one kid, or are there others in the mix?  Does she prefer to do things independently at this point, or can you still make reading aloud work?  If Sonlight/Bookshark doesn't work for you, I'm wondering if you might use something like Human Odyssey or OUP's The World in Ancient Times - or really, any middle grade spine you like - to give some shape to your learning.  It might mean that you read the text chapter together (perhaps she might outline it as well if that's something you're working on), and then you'd find supplementary books, documentaries and audiobooks related to the time period that she might consume independently.

She's probably just a little on the young side for SWB's History of the ________ World series, which is written for high school, but it does have the plus of being available on Audible.  It might also be worth a look if she's motivated and/or wants to get a jump on high school credits.

I used Bookshark.  It is the secular version of Sonlight without Bible or religious references.  I appreciated the "heads up" Bookshark would give in instructor guide of questionable topics, health topics, scary things, and earth origins, from what I recall.  I only used until grade 2-3.

Edited by 4atHome

I’ve used and liked Sonlight, though only for the younger grades. It is religious, but not overly so. They use a lot of secular books. Christianity is sprinkled here and there throughout the lessons. Obviously, the “bible” portion of the core is religious, with bible and missionary stories. It is pretty neutral in tone, imo. I’m comparing it to Masterbooks, which we also use, and which is much more religious and takes a young earth approach. (Sonlight does not.)

I think the books are fantastic, and it would be a good choice for a Christian family. Obviously I would recommend Bookshark for a non-Christian or non-religious family. But overall, I would guess quality is essentially the same. 

I really appreciate the feedback!  This is my final dc at home. My oldest is graduating and my middles have entered public school. So, just me and 12yo next year. I am looking for a program that has most of the planning done for me, but doesn’t feel like recreating the public school at home

I've used Sonlight for the younger grades. I've looked at Bookshark as I've moved toward purchasing secular curriculum over the years, but it's not been the correct choice for one reason or other. 

I currently use Build Your Library, which has the same flavor, but is secular. It is a stripped down version though - you need to read along with kids so you can discuss as the questions in the guide aren't as detailed and there is no set answers given. 

2 hours ago, Toska said:

I really appreciate the feedback!  This is my final dc at home. My oldest is graduating and my middles have entered public school. So, just me and 12yo next year. I am looking for a program that has most of the planning done for me, but doesn’t feel like recreating the public school at home

I would love to do Sonlight with just one child! The reason we have steered away from it in recent years is because my age spread is just too big...I can’t do the same stuff with the different ages. It worked great with just one, and still great with my two oldest (they were close enough in age to do the same core). But now that I’m adding another into the mix next year, and another one down the line, it’s just going to be too hard to manage 2-3 cores.

However, it’s a really great program and well laid out. The guides are super helpful and easy to follow. But then you can as much (or as little ) extension as you want. It doesn’t feel like public school at home, because there are no textbooks, tests, etc.—a lot of great literature and living books, and discussion. 

I assum Bookshark would be the same way, without the religious content. My kids have like everything through Sonlight, and rebel against our non-Sonlight stuff (language arts and math), but to be fair...they would hate doing workbook stuff regardless of what it was or where it was from. They just really enjoy the first part of our day, when we do bible, history, and literature.