Menu

First Greek

4atHome

Hey Andrew or Greek Codecracker or something else?  I think I discussed with someone buried in another thread but cannot remember and can't find it now. 

I want to teach the Greek alphabet.  I'll see how much interest they have before deciding to go beyond the alphabet.

I'm thinking codecracker may be better?

I started a similar thread here: https://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/706198-latin-vs-greek/

I'm leaning toward starting with Code Cracker but then moving onto Hey Andrew.  Hey Andrew is the only program I can find that suits elementary kids but has more than one or two levels, and I don't want to deal with overlap/gaps from switching further on, eg after Greek for Children A.

3 hours ago, caffeineandbooks said:

I started a similar thread here: https://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/706198-latin-vs-greek/

I'm leaning toward starting with Code Cracker but then moving onto Hey Andrew.  Hey Andrew is the only program I can find that suits elementary kids but has more than one or two levels, and I don't want to deal with overlap/gaps from switching further on, eg after Greek for Children A.

It's hard to tell how far Hey Andrew's 8 levels go compared to Elementary Greek's three levels.  But yeah, Greek for Children seems pretty worthless.  I think Hey Andrew's Greek alphabet level is designed for preschoolers, whereas Code Cracker is designed to appeal to older kids?

43 minutes ago, Terabith said:

It's hard to tell how far Hey Andrew's 8 levels go compared to Elementary Greek's three levels.  But yeah, Greek for Children seems pretty worthless.  I think Hey Andrew's Greek alphabet level is designed for preschoolers, whereas Code Cracker is designed to appeal to older kids?

Isn't Elementary Greek aimed at older kids?  Like middle school and up?  I had discounted it without further investigation on that basis.  Yes, Hey Andrew level 1 suits preschool and up, whereas Code Cracker is "grade 1" (provided they can read at a decent level).

Rainbow Resource leads me to believe that by Hey Andrew level 8 they will have translated all of John's gospel as well as 2 and 3 John.  That's more than some seminary students manage 🙂

4 hours ago, caffeineandbooks said:

And that is the thread where I asked about it!  Thanks.

34 minutes ago, caffeineandbooks said:

Isn't Elementary Greek aimed at older kids?  Like middle school and up?  I had discounted it without further investigation on that basis.  Yes, Hey Andrew level 1 suits preschool and up, whereas Code Cracker is "grade 1" (provided they can read at a decent level).

Rainbow Resource leads me to believe that by Hey Andrew level 8 they will have translated all of John's gospel as well as 2 and 3 John.  That's more than some seminary students manage 🙂

Yeah, Elementary Greek is definitely for the grade 5 and up crew, I think.  

The reviews of Hey Andrew do say that, but years and years ago, when I actually still knew Greek and looked at Hey Andrew, I recall looking at the sample and thinking it was somewhat exaggerated.  But I didn't actually have the whole book, so it's possible they do it.  Hey Andrew looks super solid.  It's probably what I would use.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Memoria press says Elementary Koine Greek is 4th on up. It is what I am leaning toward for my 5th grader next year. He is doing code cracker now and enjoying it. It will give him a good jump start. I want grammer in a Greek course and trust that Memoria has it;) It also looks straightforward (he really hated song school spanish this year...) and cheaper, both of what I want. 

We really like Hey Andrew.  Code Cracker was ok, but I thought it was confusing for my 2nd grader (or 1st... can't remember) to try to sound out English words using Greek letters. Maybe for an older kid, but even then... you know how you can have good fun curriculums where the kids learn but it's still fun and then there's the curriculums where it's fun and somehow the kids skip the learning part? I kind of think code cracker fell into the latter for us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1