Menu

Latin vs Greek

caffeineandbooks

I'm wondering if next year is the year to add a language into the mix for my then-fifth and third graders.  Does anyone do Greek?  What programs do you like, and how far do they go?

I did three years of Greek 20+ years ago when I was in college, so even though I've forgotten a lot it seems like it would be a better choice for me than Latin.  But Latin, because it's far more popular, has so many different programs to choose from, and lots of fun extras - modern picture books in Latin editions, that kind of thing.

I'm happy to hear from anyone in the "don't do an ancient language till high school, do a modern one first" camp, too...

We do both Greek and Latin. I use Hey Andrew! Teach Me Some Greek.  I also use their Latin program (Latin's Not so Tough).  The boys doing Greek are 7 (he won't start Latin until next year) and 9 and in levels 3 and 4. It goes up to level 8.  I have a half a year of koine Greek which was taught by a former pastor, so nothing formal, but enough to understand the basics.  My goal is 15 min of each language (more like 5 min for DS7). Much of it is independent at this point for ds9. I just step in for the new material.  

For us, we started with a modern language as we live overseas. However, this would be my priority even if we lived a different life. It has opened so many doors, and provided so many good ways to use ds' brain. Some things to consider: cartoons, books, people (if picking a language used close to you), internet all are available in modern languages. Dedicate all tv or some be done in a modern language, and half the battle is won 😂 not really, but you know. 

This year for 3rd we have started Latin using Getting Started the Latin. For my son a lot of this has been easy being that he already knows several languages. He has made connection to English words. The book has been easy for me to follow and learn along with him. I plan to do Greek in two years as well. 

If you know Greek, even if rusty, it would be a good place to start as you will be a few steps ahead. But I think the benefits of a modern language are enormous, and ancient languages can wait and be easier after the rewards of a modern one. 

This is our fourth year slowly and steadily studying Greek. We started with Greek Alphabet Code Cracker from CAP; then we did 3 years of MP’s Elementary Greek by Gatchell. This year we’re working toward fluency with the workbook of Basics of Biblical Greek. Students studying Greek are now 13, 15, and 17. 
I’m also using Prima Latina with younger kids (8 and 11) this year, and it’s their favorite subject. 
I never planned to teach Greek , but one son requested “Elvish,” and Greek seemed close....  One of the best homeschool decisions I’ve made!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, ladies.  I'm glad to hear two recommendations for Hey Andew and will look into that a little more.  I wish there were more levels of Greek for Children - the CAP folks recommended to me that Elementary Greek would be a good follow on, as you have done, @skctgbrlis, but it looks a little older and less "fun" than GFC and it seems silly to use GFC for just one year and then switch.  @Slacheif Hey Andrew works for you with first graders, I am in!

@Slache, @LauraClark, do you recommend the "full" or "short" sets of Hey Andrew for a parent whose vocab is so rusty I only test into their level 3 myself 🤦‍♀️  Do I want a student book for each kid, or do I just want a teacher book and some notebooks?  I'm finding the samples online are limited, and I will be paying for international shipping, which adds about 50% to the price...

3 minutes ago, caffeineandbooks said:

Thank you, ladies.  I'm glad to hear two recommendations for Hey Andew and will look into that a little more.  I wish there were more levels of Greek for Children - the CAP folks recommended to me that Elementary Greek would be a good follow on, as you have done, @skctgbrlis, but it looks a little older and less "fun" than GFC and it seems silly to use GFC for just one year and then switch.  @Slacheif Hey Andrew works for you with first graders, I am in!

@Slache, @LauraClark, do you recommend the "full" or "short" sets of Hey Andrew for a parent whose vocab is so rusty I only test into their level 3 myself 🤦‍♀️  Do I want a student book for each kid, or do I just want a teacher book and some notebooks?  I'm finding the samples online are limited, and I will be paying for international shipping, which adds about 50% to the price...

(I think I would have tested into level 3 also-I understood the basic grammar, but my vocab is lacking). I only get the student workbook.  I only have one kid working on a book at a time, so we only have one copy and mostly use a notebook. There is room to write in the book, but he needs more room and we actually end up just talking through some of the lessons rather than writing anything.  I also start the boys about half way through the first grade year.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, caffeineandbooks said:

I have the short and I've never referenced it, but I would be stressed not to have it.

Anyone looked at both Hey Andrew and Greek Code Cracker?  I wanted to introduce Greek and teach the alphabet.  I figure it will at least be beneficial for higher math and science.  I only know the alphabet, myself.

Edited by 4atHome
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, 4atHome said:

Anyone looked at both Hey Andrew and Greek Code Cracker?  I wanted to introduce Greek and teach the alphabet.  I figure it will at least be beneficial for higher math and science.  I only know the alphabet, myself.

Kids are already doing Spanish and oldest is also doing Latin (ETA, middle son has done some of Latin for Children & GSWL, and will work through GSWL next year) and so I don't want another full language course, but an introduction would be enjoyable and I suspect they may want to continue it on their own.  Kids are 11, 9 and 6.

If you just want an introduction Code Cracker is fine. I used it with my oldest and didn't like it because the song mispronounced 'omicron' (which might be no big deal for others) and I thought it would be more beneficial if they were using the Greek letters to spell actual Greek words rather than English words.  But I knew we were going to continue on with Greek-if that hadn't been a factor it would have been a fine fit for us.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 4atHome said:

Kids are already doing Spanish and oldest is also doing Latin (ETA, middle son has done some of Latin for Children & GSWL, and will work through GSWL next year) and so I don't want another full language course, but an introduction would be enjoyable and I suspect they may want to continue it on their own.  Kids are 11, 9 and 6.

Either is fine. If you want them to continue on their own do Hey Andrew.

• Like 1