Menu

CLRC Comp & Lit (cross-posted from K-8)

(Cross-posted from K-8 for anyone who might have experience with this class, but no longer visits the K-8 board)

What can anyone tell me about this class? About Tessa Carmen as a teacher? How heavy is the workload? How age-appropriate are the expectations for written work? Does the teacher do a good job of scaffolding the student’s development over the course of the year, or is it a steep learning curve? Would you describe your student (who took this class) on grade-level? Advanced for their age/grade? Is the class secular?

Trying to find the ‘just right’ level of challenge for my rising 7th grader is tricky. She’s a much more average student than my last middle schooler, but just as bright. Seems like the reading lists are either WAY too challenging or still using late-elementary books and I think we’re mostly past that. 

Thanks for any thoughts on this course. 

Edited by fourisenough

Two of my kids took Intro to Lit with Tessa and we absolutely love her. One took it as a 6th grader and another one as a 7th grader. 
Both are very capable kids (definitely not struggling) and neither is liberals arts leaning. 
How well she scaffolds? Well, if I remember correctly they built the essays one paragraph at a time. I really hope I remember that right. It isn’t like Cindy Lange’s class that actually scaffolds a paragraph development. With Tessa, you have got to be able to produce that and the writing is weekly. Both learned how to write essays in that class, but I was there to help them understand thesis development and help at least with the first essay. 

I didn’t think the workload was heavy. At a time when my kids took it, she provided very good feedback (red pen to the paper approach). CLRC has grown though, so it’s possible now that grading is done with a rubric. I simply don’t know. Yes, the class is secular.

My only complaint about that class is the choice of the Dickens novel. Tale of Two Cities was too much for both of my kids. I wish she had picked another Dickens novel for the Intro class. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Two of my kids took Intro to Lit with Tessa and we absolutely love her. One took it as a 6th grader and another one as a 7th grader. 
Both are very capable kids (definitely not struggling) and neither is liberals arts leaning. 
How well she scaffolds? Well, if I remember correctly they built the essays one paragraph at a time. I really hope I remember that right. It isn’t like Cindy Lange’s class that actually scaffolds a paragraph development. With Tessa, you have got to be able to produce that and the writing is weekly. Both learned how to write essays in that class, but I was there to help them understand thesis development and help at least with the first essay. 

I didn’t think the workload was heavy. At a time when my kids took it, she provided very good feedback (red pen to the paper approach). CLRC has grown though, so it’s possible now that grading is done with a rubric. I simply don’t know. Yes, the class is secular.

My only complaint about that class is the choice of the Dickens novel. Tale of Two Cities was too much for both of my kids. I wish she had picked another Dickens novel for the Intro class. 

Would you consider Cindy Lange’s Intro class lower or higher than this class (in terms of challenge/expectations?). Or are they comparable? My older did & we loved Cindy’s class in 8th, but I don’t this this DD is ready for that class yet. (Although, every time I say something like that about her she has a big leap in maturity/skill and proves me wrong).

9 minutes ago, fourisenough said:

Would you consider Cindy Lange’s Intro class lower or higher than this class (in terms of challenge/expectations?). Or are they comparable? My older did & we loved Cindy’s class in 8th, but I don’t this this DD is ready for that class yet. (Although, every time I say something like that about her she has a big leap in maturity/skill and proves me wrong).

Cindy’s class is less in quantity. She scaffolds a lot more and really teaches one step at a time. So I would ideally do Cindy’s class before CLRC Intro to Lit, but it isn’t necessary. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Roadrunner said:

Cindy’s class is less in quantity. She scaffolds a lot more and really teaches one step at a time. So I would ideally do Cindy’s class before CLRC Intro to Lit, but it isn’t necessary. 

Whoa, I’m so glad I asked. That surprises me. Thanks for weighing in!

• Like 1

This year they are reading The Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe; The Chosen, Frankenstein, Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, Tale of Two Cities, and Midsummer Night’s Dream. I don’t think these are easy reading, and at least three are rather dark. I think it’s an appropriate class for 8th and 9th graders, but I realize several people on here have enrolled their younger children. It involves a fair amount of work, but not pointless busy work or excessive output, and it does seem designed to promote growth.

The class is secular, and the teacher does not discuss religion or politics, but many students seem to be very religious conservative Christians who discuss their faith at various times.

I have realized I am generally not overly impressed by many online classes, but I do feel this one is well run and educational.

Edited by stripe
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, stripe said:

This year they are reading The Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe; The Chosen, Frankenstein, Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, Tale of Two Cities, and Midsummer Night’s Dream. I don’t think these are easy reading, and at least three are rather dark. I think it’s an appropriate class for 8th and 9th graders, but I realize several people on here have enrolled their younger children. It involves a fair amount of work, but not pointless busy work or excessive output, and it does seem designed to promote growth.

The class is secular, and the teacher does not discuss religion or politics, but many students seem to be very religious conservative Christians who discuss their faith at various times.

I have realized I am generally not overly impressed by many online classes, but I do feel this one is well run and educational.

My son was the only one who wrote an essay on Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe without mentioning Jesus. 😂 It was an excellent take on leadership. 

Great course. 

Edited by Roadrunner
  • Like 2

CLRC has a few other things next year that may be of interest:

Three combined art and literature classes, for 7-12 year olds, 10-16 year olds, and 13+ year olds
10 to 16 year olds are scheduled to read Call of the Wild, Frankenstein, Treasure Island, National Velvet, Legend of Sleepy Hollow, Last of Mohicans, War of the Worlds, In the Heart of the Rockies, and The Coral Island

American Lit for 13+: The Great Gatsby, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Fahrenheit 451, The Crucible, Walden Pond, Of Mice and Men, My Antonia, The light in the Forest, The Secret of the Chimney

Intro to Poetry  for 12+

Class on Tolkien for 12+
and two mythology classes 

• Like 1