Menu

A question about wills

Scarlett

34 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

Do you really get a signing bonus? I’ve not heard it termed that. The property we have mineral rights to lacks infrastructure so leases have lapsed over the years and there has never been production, only exploration/site evaluation. So, I retract that red flag comment, my error. 

Coincidentally the brother that called me just retired from a job with the Feds where he negotiated leases everyday. I asked him and he said signing bonuses are common. 

6 hours ago, Scarlett said:

Coincidentally the brother that called me just retired from a job with the Feds where he negotiated leases everyday. I asked him and he said signing bonuses are common. 

My warning though is that often they will offer say $300/acre for a lease plus production % but we were able to negotiate a much higher per acre lease AND get a higher % calculation.   It took my brother not just signing right away but researching it and talking to others in the field, etc to find out just what we could really get.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ottakee said:

My warning though is that often they will offer say $300/acre for a lease plus production % but we were able to negotiate a much higher per acre lease AND get a higher % calculation.   It took my brother not just signing right away but researching it and talking to others in the field, etc to find out just what we could really get.

Right.  I think this brother is very aware of that aspect.  But he is far from that point right now.  Right now he has only been given a photo copy of a will that he was told is notarized..... except it doesn’t appear to be.  And he has asked for a copy of the deed from the land man and got radio silence.  He is aware he can get a copy himself but he is still mulling over all of his options and all of the family consequences of any action or non action he might take.  

I think he is grieving for all sorts of things he realizes were stolen from him....relationships with older 1/2 brothers and other extended family,  a normal mother, and now probably money as well.  

14 hours ago, Scarlett said:

No he died in AR.  

Louisiana inheritance laws are somewhat complicated. (My dad died and not having a will was actually easier than if he did have a will because of some quirky issues.)  On top of that, inheritance of mineral rights adds another wrinkle.  I don't know if any of those issues would apply in this case or not.  

2 hours ago, Bootsie said:

Louisiana inheritance laws are somewhat complicated. (My dad died and not having a will was actually easier than if he did have a will because of some quirky issues.)  On top of that, inheritance of mineral rights adds another wrinkle.  I don't know if any of those issues would apply in this case or not.  

LA used to have a law where you could not completely disinherit your children.  I believe that has changed but not sure.  

The non signing son texted me this morning that when he questioned one of his brother about all of this he was basically told that he was risking being removed from the will by not complying.  That REALLY angered him.  He says he isn’t signing until he gets some transparency regardless.