Menu

When to start Latin and Greek

My ds(6) will technically be in 1 grade this coming year. He is will be doing 3rd grade work in math/writing/spelling/grammar. He reads on a 7th grade level. I want to teach both Latin and Greek. Can some one recommend a timeline/sequence on when I should start this. I also have a dd who will be in K next year. I don't know if I want to have her join in. She is right at grade level. I also don't know if I should wait on dd to be ready she might put my ds behind considering I want to do both latin/ greek and then begin spanish in the logic stage. Is this realistic? What do you think? Any advice?

TIA,

:)

I usually start Latin & Greek when my sons can read well and are grounded in phonics; this happened in 2nd/3rd grade for us. My oldest sons are close in age too. I wanted to teach Latin & Greek at the same time, so I waited for my youngest to be ready. He started in 2nd, and my oldest was in 3rd.

However, it sounds like your son might be ready for Latin & Greek now. Since your kids are so close in age, I would start them together, but if it proves to be too much for your daughter, let her slow down & maybe wait a year or two. At a minimum, she can learn to say the alphabet, how to chant, listen to the cd, etc., especially if she is reading already.

You can also stagger the 2 languages. Start Latin now and fold in Greek a year later.

I think you would be hard pressed to get in all of the Latin grammar by 4th grade and really have it make sense to your child; same with Greek. Now that my boys are in the Logic stage, I have seen them grasp a greater understanding of Latin & Greek grammar. What are your Latin & Greek goals? Being able to express what you want to accomplish will help guide your decisions.

I'm so glad you replied. To be honest, I really don't know what my long term goals are. As far as greek goes I'd like them (me as well) be able to study/read the bible in greek and be strong apologist with a biblical worldview. As far as Latin goes I want it to affect academically. I really need to read some resources to help me understand it fully.

Aren't you doing Omnibus with your boys? If so, may I ask what curriculum you used in the grammar stage?

fwiw - I would not start latin with the Ker until reading fluently. And I would get 2 years of Latin under my belt before starting Greek. As for the Spanish - that would actually be the one to start sooner (you could do Spanish orally with both now - Latin with the older one, and begin Latin with the younger one once a good foundation in reading is established). They will have a better fluency in Spanish the earlier it is started (and will have more fun too!). Spanish should be taught in the same way we learn our native tongue (oral, lots of vocabulary, minimal translation), while Latin is approached from the grammatical standpoint, since typically one of the main goals of Latin is precise and logical thinking. Anne Marie

I haven't started Omnibus yet. My oldest will be in the 7th grade next year, and I'll start Omnibus I with him at that time. What curriculum are you refering to for the grammar stage? Latin? Greek?

Here are some articles about Latin to help you focus on what goals to set (specifically look under Summer 2006): http://www.memoriapress.com/articles/index.html

My DH is teaching Greek so that our boys will be able to read the New Testament in Koine Greek. He would also like to read Euclid in Greek for geometry too. For Latin, I want the boys to read original texts in Latin such as Vergil's Aeneid. Therefore, Latin & Greek are long-term studies in our homeschool. We will probably do them through high school. At that point, I'll let the boys decide if they want to add a modern foreign language. We'll probably encourage them to study Spanish since we live in Texas. In addition, after such long exposure to Latin, Spanish should be relatively easy (I hope).

HTH!

I'm sorry I wasn't clear. I was wondering what history program you have used in the grammar stage. I have my plans set in stone for next year Except for History. We are doing SOTW1 this year with MOH for the biblical worldview aspect of it. I want something more cohesive. I like things planned out for me. Even scriped. I have looked at:

TOG

TQ

Biblioplan

SL

MFW

Logos School History Curr.

CM book lists

AmbleSide

Heart of Dakota

MOH2

Veritas Press

Memoria Press

along with some others

and I still am at a loss. Maybe it's because I just need to see all the components in the flesh. I'm really having a hard time with this.

My main goal is that I want to do 3 4yr history cycles classically with a very STRONG biblical worldview added.

UGHHH...history has been my Achilles' heel. I don't put much emphasis on history or science in the grammar/logic stages though because our homeschool priorities during this time are math, grammar, Latin & Greek. Our priorities in high school will be math, history, literature (including Latin & Greek texts), & science.

For the grammar stage I used all 4 volumes of SOTW. It gave me a really good overview of history (something I was desperately lacking). There's really not much at the lower elementary level that has a biblical worldview. I did find Story of the Ancient World (http://www.nothingnewpress.com/guerber/ancient.html) which is a great ancient history spine that incorporates a biblical worldview. However, I think the entire Nothing New Press (NNP) history series is geared more for the logic stage. In addition, it's a 7 book series which doesn't fit well into a 4-year logic stage.

I had pulled together my own history program with the NNP books, Kingfisher Encyclopedia, literature books, timeline, etc., but it just seemed too disjointed. I have since resigned that at this time, I'm just building history pegs for later on. High school will be the time that history really comes together. Therefore, I've scaled back to using Streams of Civilization Vol I & II as our history spine in the logic stage. (http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/easy_find?Ntk=keywords&Ntt=streams+of+civilization&action=Search&N=0&Ne=0&event=ESRCN&nav_search=1&cms=1)

Sorry for the long, drawn-out drama. Despite my historical wanderings, our boys have maintained a timeline, and they seem to have a good overview of major events in history. I'm sure whatever you do will be much better than what I've had our boys do. Programs like TOG, MFW, & SL don't appeal to me. If worse comes to worse, I'll at least have the boys listen to The Teaching Company history lectures I've purchased before they graduate.

About Latin and Greek...

You could start your son on either one at this point, and I would aim for two solid years of instruction before adding in the other. I truly don't think it matters which you begin with -- Greek is not "harder" than Latin, it's just more intimidating to some adults because they find the new alphabet rather scary. :) Pick the one *you* or your son has most interest in, or the one with the curriculum available that you think is most appropriate for him. I would go with Lively Latin or Prima Latina (which may move very quickly into Latina Christiana with a very academically-oriented child) for Latin or Elementary Greek for Greek. Minimus is good if you want more "fun" and culture and less Latin grammar for now. After two years or so of study, go ahead and add the other language, and perhaps start your daughter studying *that* language with your son at that time. (Or just teach them separately, depending on how different their readiness is at that time -- with a couple of years of one ancient language under his belt, your son may move very quickly through the early stages of the other.)

For Spanish... You could start them both now on gaining some good exposure to the language, and that will serve them well when you "officially" begin study later on. If you have regular access to Spanish speakers -- family members, or someone who can just talk with and play with your children on a regular basis -- then they can really learn Spanish now... But if you don't have that and you aren't fluent, then I think exposure is really the best you can hope for at this level. We've used La Clase Divertida and the Georgia Public Broadcasting series "Salsa" (sort of a Sesame Street-like Spanish immersion program for children) and other songs and stories, etc, to gain a familiarity with Spanish. But since neither dh nor I are fluent and we haven't found a regular, affordable tutor for the kids, we'll wait for real "study" till later on. I would group the two kids together for this.

I agree with Abbey about getting a solid foundation in one language before starting the other. You can start either language with a child who is reading well in his or her mother tongue.

How you approach the languages depends entirely on what your long-term goals are, and I'd recommend sorting that out for yourself before choosing curriculum. The Memoria Press link Beth gave should help there. Good luck to you!

Katherine,

I have young children as well, and while I'm no expert, I will share what we are doing/planning. :D

We are beginning with Greek first, but not in the format most think of. We are memorizing the Greek alphabet right now (grade 1). We will then move onto the Greek 'phonetics' (grade 2). Sometime around grade 3 I want to have my children simply memorize their Bible verses in both Greek and English. (no formal greek program until later though - I just want to develop their ear for speaking/reading and hearing it etc).

Latin we will begin at age 10 and get 2-3 good years under his belt (for the academic benefits). Then at age 13, formal Greek for the rest of his school career, based on our personal convictions more than anything. So, yes we want both Latin and Greek, Latin just a few years for the known benefits, however, our priority, long term is Greek. ;)

• 3 years later...
Guest Psalm40

I stumbled upon this thread looking for info on when to start my middle child in Latin, and thought you might be interested in this post.

http://communisvita-in-virginia.blogspot.com/2011/01/beware-of-evolutionary-syncretism.html

I would have put it on your blog comment area, but since that wasn't possible, thought I'd chance you seeing it here even though this is an old post.

God bless your endeavors to train your children!

I am doing Latin and Greek with my daughter who is about the same age and skill level as you described. This is our 3rd year of Latin and first year of Greek. We did Song School Latin followed by Prima Latina and now Latin for Children. We are using Song School Greek. We started Latin first because it reinforces English grammar better and the letters and pronunciations are similar enough to English that it has been relatively simple for her to learn. Of everything we've used I like the Classical Academic Press materials the best. I'm short on time but feel free to pm me if you would like more details about our experience. Our goals for language seem very similar.