Menu

Pre-Algebra advice needed

Coco_Clark

I have 3 (count em 3!!) Kids going into Pre-Algebra next year. My last kid went straight from Beast 5 to Jacobs Algebra so this is weirdly new territory for me and I'm very lost.

Kid A is my biggest worry. She is 13, and currently using Math Mammoth 6/Teaching Teaching Textbooks 7/Jousting Armadillos. She's very very math-phobic and needs lots of repetition, lots of review, and gentle guidance. I'm considering Mr D, continuing MM7, Zaccaro or Dolciani.  

Benefits to Mr.D is that it's reputed to be gentle (too gentle?), and that it would be very hands-off for me. Concerns are that I'm not quite sure this girlie is ready for me to be hands off, and there's a 0% chance the poor website design won't drive me nuts if I end up having to buddy-math this program. Also I notice the answers are provided in an easily reached link, and this kid has struggled in the past with cheating.  

Benefits to MM7 is that MM is very familiar and has been absolutely solid so far. Downside is she'd very sick if it and hates it.  Also it's familiarity cuts both ways because I think Pre-A is a great time to get used to your future Algebra program/working off a textbook instead of a workbook. It also has no to little review, which is why we always added TT in the past. But running two math programs is becoming too much as she gets older and has more work in other subjects.

I know very little about Dolciani or Zaccaro other than their excellent reviews here.  I imagine Dolciani may work because of its set A, B, C structure. I feel like I could stick to A and add B when we can/or later as review. 

Kid B is 12, in public school 6th grade, and requesting afterschooling as he has had literally no math instruction in a year. He's afraid his future will be affected, especially if next year continues distance learning.  He's strong in algorithm based math, but struggles with problem solving. I'm considering Zaccaro or picking select Dolciani problems.

Kid C is 11, and finishing up Beast Academy. He is very strong in math, loves puzzles, and requires deep challenge to stay motivated... but is also overwhelmed easily at the moment (hormones!). I'm considering Dolciani, Zaccaro, or AOPS.  I'm worried AOPS will be instant overwhelm, although he's always been happy as a clam in Beast...

If you read all that mess....any thoughts?

4 hours ago, df3121 said:

Following as I have the male version of your daughter (also 13). For added challenge - he needs lot of review, but strongly prefers a mastery approach.

Yes mine needs mastery or she won't grasp a subject in the first place, AND review or she forgets it.  Henceforth, two math programs for the past 5 years.  We do MM in the am for the mastery, and she does TT independantly in the afternoon for review.  (I find TT a year ahead is a perfect review for MM).  But it's soo much math.  Just not realistic now that she's a teenager and has more work in other subjects, outside activities, ect.

• Like 1

Coming back to say for Kid C, could you keep him in AoPS but do it self paced just with the books? My oldest DS loooooooved AoPS but he is a slow deep thinker and the pace of AoPS online courses would have killed him. Since yours is only 11, he would have more time to slowly savor and absorb the math that way. The only drawback is that if you can't teach it (I sure couldn't!) he would need to be self teaching and independent. That worked for my DS at age 15 when I discovered AoPS, but it might not for an 11 year old.

My kid that needs lots of review did really well with CLE for 7th and 8th (pre-algebra is spread out over the two years) and is now doing great in CLE Algebra 1.  

My kid that is mathy and who thrived with Singapore is doing great in Unlock Math Pre-Algebra.  I started him in Horizons Pre-Algebra because I felt that he needed more review than what he got in Singapore and it was a disaster.  Unlock is online and expensive but has been fabulous.  There is a short warm-up, video lesson (around 5-7 minutes) 10 practice problems, and then review problems.  

8 hours ago, wendyroo said:

I’m curious - is there a reason you wouldn’t have Kid A continue in the Jousting Armadillos series?

I glanced over it and wasnt as impressed with the later books. I also don't consider it a full curriculum, at least for this child.  Not enough practice.

7 hours ago, Momto6inIN said:

Coming back to say for Kid C, could you keep him in AoPS but do it self paced just with the books? My oldest DS loooooooved AoPS but he is a slow deep thinker and the pace of AoPS online courses would have killed him. Since yours is only 11, he would have more time to slowly savor and absorb the math that way. The only drawback is that if you can't teach it (I sure couldn't!) he would need to be self teaching and independent. That worked for my DS at age 15 when I discovered AoPS, but it might not for an 11 year old.

Yes if we do AOPS we will self pace and take at least 1.5 years to complete it.  I'm not super worried about teaching it, as I just went through Jacobs with an older, so Algebra is fairly fresh.  And I find their solutions manuals top notch to work from- it's my favorite part of Beast.  I also have a math major hubby in the grandstands for when we are stuck 🤣

• Like 1

I think you should stay the course with Kid A, you already own all those resources.

Kid B - If he gets math instruction next year, supplement with MM or AOPS Pre-A as appropriate because you will have and be using those resources. If he doesn't get math instruction use one of those full-time. He could also watch the AOPS videos and work in Alcumus.

Kid C - AOPS Pre-A Do watch the videos and sign up for Alcumus and then the wordy text gets diluted a bit, if that is a concern.

Yikes! You must spend a lot of time juggling math with all those students at similar-but-not-the-same places in math learning. I looked at the Zaccaro books once upon a time and they looked like great supplements, but not enough for a full curriculum, perhaps not for a spine, either. I think Dolciani would depend on you as the teacher more so than MM which teaches to the student, perhaps the time differential for you is not a concern. In our house my tricky math student needed me to not be the teacher, just the occasional advisor. If you do want Kid A to be hands-off, I wonder if you have looked at Jann's MyHomeschoolmathclass? No easy link to the answers there, and she was very gentle with my tricky student.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SusanC said:

I think you should stay the course with Kid A, you already own all those resources.

Kid B - If he gets math instruction next year, supplement with MM or AOPS Pre-A as appropriate because you will have and be using those resources. If he doesn't get math instruction use one of those full-time. He could also watch the AOPS videos and work in Alcumus.

Kid C - AOPS Pre-A Do watch the videos and sign up for Alcumus and then the wordy text gets diluted a bit, if that is a concern.

Yikes! You must spend a lot of time juggling math with all those students at similar-but-not-the-same places in math learning. I looked at the Zaccaro books once upon a time and they looked like great supplements, but not enough for a full curriculum, perhaps not for a spine, either. I think Dolciani would depend on you as the teacher more so than MM which teaches to the student, perhaps the time differential for you is not a concern. In our house my tricky math student needed me to not be the teacher, just the occasional advisor. If you do want Kid A to be hands-off, I wonder if you have looked at Jann's MyHomeschoolmathclass? No easy link to the answers there, and she was very gentle with my tricky student.

Thanks.  Yes, half my day is math- literally.  We have great success combining other subjects, even writing, but I've never been able to combine math.

• Like 2