Menu

Help! Why can't my son write a sentence?

SBP

You know how some kids can do really well on a spelling test and then misspell the exact same words the next day in a writing assignment? Well my DS11 has the grammar version of that. He's been doing formal grammar since he was in second grade and has always done well; it's probably his best subject. Give him a page full of sentence errors, and he can spot them and fix them. Run-ons, comma splices, fragments - no problem.

But his WRITING!!! :eek:

His writing is creative and funny and delightful, unless you happen to be a fan of grammatically correct sentences, in which case it's just agonizing to read. It discourages him so much when I go through it with him and point out all the sentence errors, even though I try - truly - to balance the criticism with heaps of praise on that which is praiseworthy. I don't want to discourage him, but I simply can't let all those problems slide. How can I teach him to apply what he knows about sentences to his writing? Right now we're doing Shurley 6, Daily Grams 5, and IEW. The things he's learning in the first two just aren't transferring to the third. And in the meantime, his IEW assignments are getting longer, which just gives him more opportunity to make errors, get frustrated, etc.

So, does anyone have any great BTDT advice for me? Anything you can suggest to help us bridge this disconnect between theory and practice? I'd really appreciate it!

Best,

SBP

Lisa's suggestion is excellent. It's very difficult for someone to edit something as they write it, or shortly after they write it.

I used to have my kids let the paper sit overnight. In the morning I'd have them read it out loud and voila - they heard the errors! Then they worked on editing. Give it a try...you might be surprised!

Ria

He reads voraciously, can spell quite well, has great ideas, and can do fairly well in grammar. But when he gets loose with a writing assignment - look out:confused:

Now, I have him sit with me and read his papers out loud one sentence at a time and correct. I'm basically trying to teach him to proof read and edit. I've also discovered that if I get him to think about what he's doing before writing, his work is much better. His sister claims it's an ADD thing!

He's improved steadily in the three months we've been doing this.

Hope it goes well for you

Karen

4 boys 12, 10, 6, 4 (and a grown girl)

We treat editing as completely separate. Using the computer helps. He usually edits on another day to his writing.

Its hard for many kids to think of everything- getting their thoughts down AND spelling and grammar and punctuation. I would rather he get his thoughts down first, and we work on the rest separately.

Bravewriter has a lot of good advice aroudn this. They encourage freewriting- just letting the thoughts flow and getting them on paper. THEN go back and work on it, at another time.

it's probably his best subject. Give him a page full of sentence errors, and he can spot them and fix them. Run-ons, comma splices, fragments - no problem.

It discourages him so much when I go through it with him and point out all the sentence errors,

How can I teach him to apply what he knows about sentences to his writing?

I have no BTDT advice. But one thing I remember SWB saying in her writing CD was that diagraming is a useful skill to "fix" awkward sentences/grammar. I'm planning on having my logic stage kids use this when their sentences need grammatical fixing. I'm thinking diagraming is the way to apply the grammar to the writing??

yep yep yep

Have him read it the next day. When they read their own writing, often they see what it should say, not what it does say. It is amazing how many errors pop into a paper overnight and how many you see when you read it aloud. After he has the chance to correct them the next day, then sit with him and have him go over the paper with you with him doing the corrections. It may take a while, but hopefully this will help him to learn to see his own errors.

Thank you so much, everyone, for your replies. He does compose on the computer now, and we always wait at least a day between his first draft and any revisions. I hadn't thought to have him read the paragraph out loud, however, so I'll definitely try that with next week's writing assignment and see if it helps his ear pick out problems his eyes are missing. :)

I have no BTDT advice. But one thing I remember SWB saying in her writing CD was that diagraming is a useful skill to "fix" awkward sentences/grammar. I'm planning on having my logic stage kids use this when their sentences need grammatical fixing. I'm thinking diagraming is the way to apply the grammar to the writing??

Interesting! We've used Shurley up until now, and even though we've been pleased with it, Shurley doesn't teach diagramming. I had just about made up my mind to switch after this level of Shurley to a program that does teach diagramming, just so my children (*cough*andtheirmother*cough* ;)) will have some exposure to it. I might move up the timetable on that switch - thank you! (I should probably get that writing CD, too...thanks for reminding me of it.)

I think what makes this so frustrating for me is that I really see a spark in my son's writing. My DD writes lovely, well-organized sentences and paragraphs, and I'm perfectly satisfied with them, but there's no spark there. It's a skill that will serve her well in her life, and I'm glad she has it, but I doubt it will ever be a creative outlet for her or bring her joy to string words together. I think writing could be one of my son's gifts, though, if he can work through these technical difficulties. And do that he must - I understand that - but I'd really like to do it without crushing his enthusiasm.

Thanks again to all who took the time to reply and offer ideas and encouragement. I feel like I have some new things to try now :).

Best,

SBP