Menu

Is a phonics program really necessary and if so...

Sue G in PA

help me figure out what to use. Ds6 loathes ETC. Not a workbook type kid, I guess. Okay, based on my previous posts, you know he loathes school right now period. BUT, he has always had a particular dislike for ETC. Too boring, too easy. We skipped ahead a level or so...no dice. So, what else is there for phonics that would appeal to a non-workbooky type kid? OR, do I really even need a phonics program. This kids learned to read on his own and just sort of "internalizes" phonics rules. Rules we've never covered...he just gets. Could we just read a lot and cover rules as we come to them? He also uses SWO for spelling and finds level A a tad boring as well. We are doing pretests and skipping ahead to units where he gets more than 2 words wrong. We're halfway through. TIA for your suggestions.

My oldest was a very early reader. I did no formal instruction with her other than having her read the word lists and "stories" in OPGTR (i.e. no lessons), well after she started reading. It took just a few minutes per day. I figured she'd internalize whatever she needed to internalize, and perhaps she did (though I suspect she would have ended up in the same place anyway). SWO was a complete bust for her. Sequential Spelling was much better, but we've moved to Megawords because I figured it would take less time and she wants to be able to spell NOW (SS has 180 lessons per level and, IIRC, 7 levels).

I would recommend ditching the phonics program and instead having him read aloud occasionally to check pronunciation.

If you don't use a program, then I would get the 70 Basic Phonogram Cards to make sure you cover all of the sounds. The flashcards would be a fast way to review phonics with him. In addition, you could set aside the cards that he is having trouble with and guide his reading to focus on those sounds.

http://www.bhibooks.net/catalog/item/4154895/4031110.htm

If you don't use a program, then I would get the 70 Basic Phonogram Cards to make sure you cover all of the sounds.
I dunno, if he's reading well, I'd be inclined to do nothing until (or if, depending on the program) it comes up in spelling. Some kids just get it, and I'd be hesitant to take any of the joy out of it, especially this early on.