Menu

Help me plan a casual gathering, please

Help me plan a get together. I told some ladies work with on a sports program I wanted to get together. It's off season now. There's just 4 of us. It was my idea so I should figure out what we should do. I'm totally inept at planning any social gathering. The only parties I've ever had turned out worse than the one's Mary Richard's threw on the Mary Tyler Moore Show.

We're batting around this weekend. Based on everyone's committments, dinner or later on Saturday is out. Both mornings and midafternoon Sunday are out. So, what could I plan. Do we meet some place. Do I invite people to my house (I don't want another Mary Richard's experience). I just want to see these women I've come to think of as friends and this is beyond me.

'

Is Saturday morning open? You could pick up a bagel bundle with tasty cream cheese spreads from whatever bagel place you have nearby, make a big pot of coffee, and put on a holiday movie for any kids that need a bit of entertainment while the grownups chat. Or you could meet for coffee and pastries almost any hour of the day.

Is this for the ladies only - no kids?

I love meeting my friends for coffee at Borders or Starbucks. It is not too expensive or too many calories and the chairs are so comfy.

If you want to host something in your home then maybe you could invite them over for dessert one night. My friend just hosted an ice cream sundae party. She provided the ice cream and every one brought a different topping. It was really fun and everyone felt like they were contributing.

I second the Sun. night idea or maybe try a weeknight around 7pm.

Also, if you don't get a good response this month then try again in a few months. Some people are really busy right now due to extra holiday events.

Have fun and I'm sure it will turn out great.

Help me plan a get together. I told some ladies work with on a sports program I wanted to get together. It's off season now. There's just 4 of us. It was my idea so I should figure out what we should do. I'm totally inept at planning any social gathering. The only parties I've ever had turned out worse than the one's Mary Richard's threw on the Mary Tyler Moore Show.

We're batting around this weekend. Based on everyone's committments, dinner or later on Saturday is out. Both mornings and midafternoon Sunday are out. So, what could I plan. Do we meet some place. Do I invite people to my house (I don't want another Mary Richard's experience). I just want to see these women I've come to think of as friends and this is beyond me.

'

A relaxed early evening on Sunday sounds like it would work. You can emphasize that it won't be too long so that people can get home and prepare for the week ahead.

I recently had a meeting and served a pre-made plate of tortilla rolls, zucchini bread with cream cheese, pumpkin bread, a fruit plate, and a choice of Arizona ice tea, soda, or beer/wine. I used small but sturdy chinet plates so it was easy cleanup. I had candles lit on the table and we self served ourselves to everything. It was a cozy evening even if we were having a planning meeting.

You could do a game night with Scattegories or Taboo or, if they are lively, Pit.

Or you could view a movie, or even bring wrapping paper and some gifts to wrap.

It doesn't have to be fancy if it is friends and the atmosphere is welcoming. That is what people like most- to feel welcomed.

Jo

Our neighborhood had a huge homeschooling group in the past. 7-10 families within a few blocks. We started a coffe night once a month, which one of the Dad's nicknamed Mocha Moms.

THe host just puts on the coffee pot, the tea pot, some kind of chocholate, maybe some nuts and someone else will usually bring the dessert. It is usually cake, bars, cheesecake. It doesn't have to be homemade. Set out your coffee mugs and plates and napkins and just let it happen.

If you have a fire place, start a fire or light some candles. Music helps in the background, but is usually not heard once the yakking starts.

I usually crochet and have taught a few of the moms how to do that. We discuss what books we are reading, sometimes marriage relationships..our kids..whatever comes up.

You could ask your freinds to bring their needlework or their current book. You could ask each one to bring a plate of their favorite christmas cookies to help out with the dessert. You could ask them to bring a favorite recipe.

If all of that makes you nuts, then just do as others have suggested and go to a local coffee shop for a couple of hours.

Relax..if you all like each other it will be a nice evening.