Menu

Poll: How do your spouse contribute to parenting/homeschooling?

How does your spouse contribute to parenting/homeschooling?  

1. 1. How does your spouse contribute to parenting/homeschooling?

• Does as much or more that I do.
    • Helps with curriculum decisions, and teaches at least one subject.
    • Helps choose curriculum.
    • Helps by driving to extra-curricular activities.
    • Contributes to family finances, but not involved with care of children.
    • Other - please share.

My DH's job has the flexibility to work from home and I'm working full-time outside the home. He definitely does more in parenting/homeschooling and household chores than I'm doing right now. He is not bothered by the responsibilities. He really loves homeschooling and participates as much as possible. He oversees the book-work and I do the read-alouds because everyone enjoys my reading. He'll read aloud if I need to rest my voice. He likes to talk about what we're reading and has a way of expanding on any subject that I'm unable to do.

I chose other because my husband doesn't contribute to the family finances. He IS the financier of the family. That alone makes him a hero to me. He also is very good about knowing when I need a break and when I need to get out with my friends. He often encourages me to go.

As for the teaching and curriculum, I see this as my job just like being a network administrator is his job. I don't interfer with his job and he doesn't interfer with mine. In addition, I was a professional teacher, so he figures I am pretty qualified to make decisions about teaching and curriculum. If I run into a problem I will consult with him, and he does share his opinion.

This works out well for us.

Jennie

I consider myself very lucky that my husband is very involved. I don't think I could be as successful with homeschooling if he wasn't part of the decision making and review of my day with it. He encourages me everyday and listens to me about how it is going. Especially with math curriculum. It is hard and slow, but he encourages me to stick with it and that there is no rush - it is worth the effort. He reads the WTM regularly to make sure we are on the right track and get set up for the coming year. I have a tendency to skip or miss some things. He goes to piano class with our son once a week and does practice with him every night, as well as, does the math review sheet from Saxon 5 nights a week. In addition, he is in the process of re-reading the Chronicles of Narnia to both of our boys. We also have Michael Gurian's, What Stories Does My Son Need and he is systematically going through the books and movies and going over the questions. It is great. He has also just started reviewing reading skills on the weekends.

My husband rocks!:D

Another vote here for other. Dh financially supports the four of us 100%. Over the years his participation in the education of our children has changed. He does participate in the parenting of them each and every day, but not the day to day lessons.

Now, as far as school goes he's the principle in many ways. He does support me in my role as educator. He picks up the slack, listens to my curriculum choices/woes/ worries & successes, drives or substitutes when needed, pushes the kids when necessary and I wouldn't want to home school without him.;)

I picked the financial one. He is actually somewhere in between that and choosing curriculum. He helps me with the ideology behind why I might choose one program over another for our kids, but he doesn't do well with the details. I work out the details.

He is 100% behind us though. The one time I was having a really bad day and asked him about PS he said, "Actually you go get a job and I will hs them then." I can't tell you how many times knowing he feels that way has helped keep my nose to the grindstone.

Oh and he also is very good about not making a big deal out of my not cleaning the house, as long as hs was finished. That is truly a wonderful thing!

Heather

In my community there seem to be quite a few homeschool moms who do everything with their children, and very few homeschool fathers who are involved. I'm wondering if this is common among homeschoolers. For example, when I take my dc to after school activities, I see many fathers driving their children, or taking their children out, but with my homeschooling friends the mothers seem to do all of that.

Lori

Edit: I can't believe I didn't proofread the only part of the post that I can't edit! Sorry about that.

I regret not making that option clearer. I've never set up a poll before, and I was trying to use as few words as possible - which is totally out of character for me...

In hindsight, where I said, "Contributes to family finances, but not involved with care of children." could have been worded differently if I'd had a paragraph. I think all fathers contribute at a certain level, but some see it more as the mother's "job" to handle the decisions and maintenance of the children, while the father's "job" is to bring in the money. Does that make more sense? My dh is not very actively involved, but just having him walk through the door of our home sets a different tone, and has a calming effect.

Well, you know my answer already, don't you? I know what you mean about our area and the lack of involvement of homeschool dads. Although, Louis is now teaching lit at a co-op in town...

I see the same thing you do. At Taekwon-do there are many dads who sit and wait for their kids and yet there aren't a lot of involved homeschool dads. Maybe we see less involvement of homeschool dads at homeschool events because many of our homeschool events happen during the day?

Oh, looks like I have to go. Dh is in the hot tub with the younger boys and it's time for them to get out (which means I have to go and take the boys out, towel them off and point them towards their clothes).

Sarah

schooling is something we agree on, but it's my arena and he lets me have free reign to choose and teach. I will however ask him to attend field trip when I know he will enjoy it, and this week he took our son to a robotics class. I knew he would enjoy it more than I would and then he didn't have to work/watch the youngest ;-)

but I asked about art years ago and while we have the book and supplies he's never made any effort...so I just need to take that back on and get going with it, lol.

If I ask though my dh is all involved.

Dh says, "Avoids homeschool boards, listens to me talk about it, prays for me, thanks God he doesn't have to do it." LOL. He did teach Latin one year. He is the "you have to answer to me" person, especially once the boys hit teenaged years. He helps with ds's occupational and vision therapy stuff. He's supposed to be the one who gets them up in the mornings and makes sure their kitchen chores are done. He takes them for father-son talks, gets them to chop wood with him, leads with his example as a Christian man.