Menu

Help me create an Art History course-

I am using The Story of Painting and the Annotated Mona Lisa. I've divided things into 4 periods, but I would like some input as to what I should require from my student. I took Art History in college, but only remember lectures with slides and tests. So...what kinds of questions shall I ask?

I am just looking for fresh ideas, has anyone done this class? THanks so much! Sharon

My daughter used The Annotated Mona Lisa and big book I found on a bargain table called A History of Art by Lawrence Gowring as the spine. The History of Art has a series of two-page spreads about specific periods or styles or pieces, so I went through the book and found all of those that fit into each historical period she studied. I then interwove those with the Annotated Mona Lisa reading as appropriate.

She did this over three years, coordinated with her history study.

The first year, I made up review sheets that asked questions about each week's reading. We watched a few videos and did a couple of museum field trips, and that was it.

The second year, most of her "output" was in the form of projects inspired by her reading. She did 10 projects (making her own paints and doing cave-style paintings on rocks, various clay sculptures, Chinese calligraphy, etc.). She also attended a couple of lectures sponsored by the local archaeology club. And, again, we did some musuem field trips and watched some DVDs.

The third year, she again did a few art projects inspired by her studies. And we did pretty much all the same things we'd done the previous two years (reading, videos/DVDs, museum field trips). The bulk of her grade, though, was based on a project she did comparing medieval and Renaissance art styles. She researched the topic, chose paintings that demonstrated her points, and created a visual presentation with notes and explanations.

She got half a credit each year.

Next year my kids will be using "Short Lessons in Art History." There are two books in the set and they contain readings as well as projects and writing assignments. Interweave those with a big art book and some field trips as mentioned by other posters, and that should make a well-rounded course.

"Short Lessons" are available at Rainbow Resource.

The table has the artist (with birth and death) dates in the first column, the pages from most of the books listed already PLUS the Story of the Renaissance by Suzanne Strauss Art (which has lots of background info on the artists) and Adventures in Art (Quine) and a few other books in the middle column, and then any art projects that are listed in the Discovering Great Artists in the third column. This last one is for younger children, but you can modify the projects for older ones.

The book right above, Short Lessons in Art History Short Exercises and Activities book (it is like the teachers guide for the SLAH book) and the Adventures in Art book have questions, but not for all the artists.

If you want a copy of this schedule (it's for major painters mostly) from about 1300 to 1850, email me.

Edited by Joan in Geneva
added info

Next year my kids will be using "Short Lessons in Art History." There are two books in the set and they contain readings as well as projects and writing assignments. Interweave those with a big art book

This is what I have used with my high schoolers and we use a DK art book to add color pictures and more info on each artist.