Menu

Dying materials

Three of the things that can make it more likely to bunch/felt are: quick temperature changes, stirring it around a lot, and the type of fiber the batt is made of. Give it a try.

There are many websites out there about dyeing that could give you more help.

If you are talking about the polyester batting from JoAnn's, I think it's pretty hard to felt. It might be pretty hard to dye too. If Kool-aid doesn't work, you may have to go with Rid. Aren't quilts made with that washable?

Wool batting felts much more easily but can still be dyed. Just heat a pot of water, add kool-aid (unsweetened), stir, gently put batting in and let it soak til the kool aid cools off enough to handle (with gloves). Pick up batting, squeeze out excess, put it in a sink full of cool water to rinse, squeeze out and repeat til it runs clear. No stirring, wringing out, etc of the batting.

Definitely test a small swatch at your earliest convenience! I agree that a synthetic batting might not take the dye very well. There is a brand of batting that is mostly cotton (Pure and Natural, or something like that). It feels somwhat like a cross between batting and felt. It would probably take the CoolAid or Rit type dye better than a purely synthetic one.

Also, some of the synthetic batting is very easy to tear. Depending on what you are using it for, it might not hold up too well, especially after being dyed and dryed. It might help to run a quick stabilizing line of basting stitches around the edges to help hold it in shape and together. Most synthetic batting won't felt or shrink during washing, but it might tear. I would consider not agitating it at all when wet.