Menu

Funny Poetry to Act Out

Would any of you be willing to share fun poems kids could act out while distancing? I'm teaching a 30 minute language arts class in our co-op, and it will have 7 1st-2nd graders. I don't know the kids yet or their abilities with writing and such, so I'm starting with some fun poetry. 

Thanks!

The Jabberwocky!!! This is such a great poem for so many reasons (I have taught it and had young children act it out). They start out thinking the dont understand the poem at all, but I spent 10 minutes slowly going through it and asking guiding questions about how we know what some words mean even if the word is made up. Then it is fun to act out. How does a vorpal blade go "snicker snack"? What does that look like?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We like this old Electric Company skit with Rita Moreno and Morgan Freeman. You don't have to sing it. Somebody was the customer and different people said different verses of the waitress's part.

Many short poems from a Shel Silverstein or Jack Prelutsky book would work.

Edited by SusanC
"short poems" can be written with "sorry pens", but they are not the same thing.
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SusanC said:

We like this old Electric Company skit with Rita Moreno and Morgan Freeman. You don't have to sing it. Somebody was the customer and different people said different verses of the waitress's part.

Many short poems from a Shel Silverstein or Jack Prelutsky book would work.

I adore Jack Prelutsky. I am tempted to suggest Swamps of Sleethe, but it might be a bit much for this age range. The words are quite rich. All the acting could be done with just one person. But all the poems depict creative ways to die on various fictional planets. This sounds morbid and inappropriate, but it isnt. Honestly, Swamps of Sleethe is one of the best poetry books I have read. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1