Menu

s/o: Grammar Revolution VS. Analytical Grammar

I have used both. Grammar Revolution includes short instructional videos and Analytical Grammar has DVD's available (though I did not get them when I used it). Both have very similar instructional notes at the beginning of each week's topic for the student to read. Grammar Revolution then follows it with one sentence each day to diagram and parse; Analytical Grammar has 10 sentences each day to diagram and parse. Unless your student hasn't had any grammar instruction or exposure whatsoever beforehand, 10 sentences/day is very much overkill. My daughter had used R&S for years, so we tossed Analytical Grammar partway through the year - it was not a good fit for our situation. Honestly, I would recommend any grammar program over it. It is endlessly repetitive and boring, and it takes just as long to correct each day as it does to do the exercises. Both of my daughters used Grammar Revolution as a final grammar study in middle school and we really liked it. It is complete, and at the end of the course both of my daughters showed excellent proficiency in grammar.

10 minutes ago, Clear Creek said:

I have used both. Grammar Revolution includes short instructional videos and Analytical Grammar has DVD's available (though I did not get them when I used it). Both have very similar instructional notes at the beginning of each week's topic for the student to read. Grammar Revolution then follows it with one sentence each day to diagram and parse; Analytical Grammar has 10 sentences each day to diagram and parse. Unless your student hasn't had any grammar instruction or exposure whatsoever beforehand, 10 sentences/day is very much overkill. My daughter had used R&S for years, so we tossed Analytical Grammar partway through the year - it was not a good fit for our situation. Honestly, I would recommend any grammar program over it. It is endlessly repetitive and boring, and it takes just as long to correct each day as it does to do the exercises. Both of my daughters used Grammar Revolution as a final grammar study in middle school and we really liked it. It is complete, and at the end of the course both of my daughters showed excellent proficiency in grammar.

Thanks so much!  Have you ever used the punctuation class available on Grammar Revolution?  

I only tried jr. AG and we had no retention from it. Ds used Grammar Rev. and it worked well for him and he liked it. I liked the set up better myself. The punctuation program wasn't around when we used it. I might used that with the girls after we finish WoL. 

Edited by soror