Menu

SOTW 1: Having trouble finding books

funschooler5

I'm out of the loop. I was on here years ago when my older kids did SOTW, and now I'm back homeschooling my youngest. I have our revised copy of SOTW 1 (I bought it about six years ago) and I'm putting holds on books from the booklist, but a lot of our old favorites are now gone from our library system and a few our not available on Amazon (or are very expensive because they're out of print.) Is there a newer revised version with an updated booklist? Thanks!

**Aww...I just noticed I need to update my signature! My kids are now 23, 20, 15, and 8!

Edited by funschooler5

I don't think so. My kids are 4 years apart and our library culls its shelves every year, do many were missing for us too. I'm friends with many of the librarians, otherwise I'm sure they would have a Do Not Engage poster up in their lounge with my picture! "Hi, I see from the catalog that you no longer have a copy of that great book about the salt trade in Ancient Africa. Did you replace it with something newer and better, or just scrap it as yet another detail of history that your patrons don't need to know about?" The answer is never that it has been replaced. Sigh, stepping off my snarky soap box.

There are a few suggestions you can try. First, all the library to request a copy from another library. This is a super common service. There is often a long lead time, and they can't usually be renewed, but they won't cost you money out of pocket. Sometimes it will mean reading a book a bit out of sequence.

For longer books, true favorites, or books that you may need multiple times, Amazon used, Abe books, or Betterworld books are often where I look.

Lastly, you might find applicable videos on the internet that weren't around last time you went through.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the replies! I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing a new version 🙂. I actually work at a library, and even through our 18 library system, many books are not available. Normally we can go outside the system (nation-wide) but that isn't running right now due to Covid. I'm on Abe books, Ebay, and Amazon right now!

• Like 1

You could always post an ISO (In search of) ad here and on homeschoolclassifieds.com to help you find the books.

Also check archive.org if you're ok with electronic copies of books.

I really like thriftbooks.com for used books.  Powells.com always has superb quality for used books.  And bookfinder.com may make your searching a little easier.

Edited by domestic_engineer
more thoughts. & changed .net to .com
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, domestic_engineer said:

You could always post an ISO (In search of) ad here and on homeschoolclassifieds.net to help you find the books.

Also check archive.org if you're ok with electronic copies of books.

I really like thriftbooks.com for used books.  Powells.com always has superb quality for used books.  And bookfinder.com may make your searching a little easier.

Oh thanks for mentioning Powells! I forgot about them.

I forgot that I also sometimes do a subject search to find newer books on a topic, or books that include a chapter in what I'm looking for. You working in a library have probably already tried that, but I thought I would put it here as a reminder for others.

The first time I worked through SotW1, 7 or 8 years ago the library had practically everything. It was fabulous. I bragged about it. The second time through I realized I had taken too much for granted. Boo-boo.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SusanC said:

I forgot that I also sometimes do a subject search to find newer books on a topic, or books that include a chapter in what I'm looking for. You working in a library have probably already tried that, but I thought I would put it here as a reminder for others.

The first time I worked through SotW1, 7 or 8 years ago the library had practically everything. It was fabulous. I bragged about it. The second time through I realized I had taken too much for granted. Boo-boo.

Yeah I was just trying to save time. I remember the days of our library system having multiple copies of Cat Mummies and Croco'nile available. What's funny is I donated a lot of our SOTW books to our local library and now I'm wishing I kept them. I just had to return our copy of Ancient Egyptians and Their Neighbors and it was difficult because I bought the dang thing in the first place lol.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2020 at 2:54 PM, JoyKM said:

Do you have the recommended Usborne supplement?  We use that a lot and, though I love having stand alone library books as much as possible, it has patched us through some places where we could find good library books.  I liked the supplement so much that I snagged an Usborne Geography and Astronomy supplement at a recent used book sale to have on hand when we do those.  I have also gone to reserving anything that looks like it might be on topic, then choosing the best ones from the selection over the week.

I have the Internet Linked Usborne Guide to History, is that what you mean? I just ordered Who Built The Pyramids and when it came it looked like it was just a section out of the Usborne History book. I forgot a lot of those books are just smaller versions of the whole thing!

On 8/5/2020 at 12:38 PM, pitterpatter said:

While it's not as good as having actual copies of books in hand, I've used electronic copies from OpenLibrary.org several times. You might try https://www.bookfinder.com/ and setting up some saved searches on eBay too.

Oh thanks for the reminder about OpenLibrary.org! I'm a little rusty, I used to remember all of the resources. 🙂

• Like 1

On 8/2/2020 at 1:41 PM, SusanC said:

I don't think so. My kids are 4 years apart and our library culls its shelves every year, do many were missing for us too. I'm friends with many of the librarians, otherwise I'm sure they would have a Do Not Engage poster up in their lounge with my picture! "Hi, I see from the catalog that you no longer have a copy of that great book about the salt trade in Ancient Africa. Did you replace it with something newer and better, or just scrap it as yet another detail of history that your patrons don't need to know about?" The answer is never that it has been replaced. Sigh, stepping off my snarky soap box.

There are a few suggestions you can try. First, all the library to request a copy from another library. This is a super common service. There is often a long lead time, and they can't usually be renewed, but they won't cost you money out of pocket. Sometimes it will mean reading a book a bit out of sequence.

For longer books, true favorites, or books that you may need multiple times, Amazon used, Abe books, or Betterworld books are often where I look.

Lastly, you might find applicable videos on the internet that weren't around last time you went through.

I think the only positive of a poorly run library is that I can often find strange old books that no one ever bothered to get rid of.

Emily

• Like 1