Menu

My son used to love math before...

I have always thought ABeka math looked like Saxon in color. But I haven't used it. Singapore Math has a placement test at the website. I would suggest having him take it and see where he fits. Finding a Math program has been our biggest problem, too.

My daughter was doing Saxon as well and grew to just hate it. She wasn't having any problems, just hated doing it. And I wasn't even making her do it all; was cutting half the worksheets out and not doing the drills every day. I switched to Singapore and she LOVES it. I'm not certain I love it, but it's working and she's doing well, so for now we'll keep it.

5/4 can get challenging and the dc complain. Then, we are tempted to jump ship b/c they complain. My ds9 complained every day. I reduced # problems. I skipped the majority of the ones I knew he knew (like larger number addition/subraction) and made him do all word problems, mult., div., etc. Many a wise Saxon-vet from this board has said 5/4 was a transitional year and to just keep plugging along...the benefits would outweigh the momentary discomfort. My ds9 now does 5/4 w/out major complaints (ALL the problems) and he's on about Les. 70. Oh, another thing we do now is to do SAxon 4 days/wk and save a day for only drill, math games, hand-on math, etc. Part of my ds's problem is his lack of mem. of mult/div./add/subtr. facts. Once that clicks, he'll be very quick at doing his math.

Oh, sorry so long but if you ds is doing well on the tests but just complaining about the lessons...stick w/ it. If you are noticing a decline in his test taking signifying lack of comprehension then I'd switch. JMHO.