Menu

Dr. Hiiii-iiiive? Paging Dr. Hiiiii-iiiive.

Jenny in Florida

I have a large blister on my left big toe. I didn't even notice it was there until I took off the socks I normally wear around the house to keep my feet warm (neuropathy) to do some yoga. It's not really bothering me because, again, neuropathy means I can't really feel it. However, I'm wondering what the best approach is? Would you just leave it be until it inevitably pops or diminishes on its own? Would you (carefully and with a sterilized needle) pop and drain the thing and slap a bandage on it?

At my husband's suggestion, I did take a few photos in case I need to discuss it at any upcoming medical appointments.

Thoughts?

14 minutes ago, Amy in NH said:

I'd leave it alone and let it heal by itself.  Particularly with peripheral neuropathy, introducing bacteria to foot blisters can lead to foot ulcers, and then it's a slippery slope to osteomyelitis and infectious disease consultations.

Thanks, that was my inclination, too (although I didn't know there were specific risks associated with the neuropathy other than my not being able to feel it when things go wrong). And WebMD said to leave it alone, too, unless it's in an awkward place. 

Have you figured out what caused it?  Because it’s really important to prevent it from happening again or getting worse.  

With neuropathy, it is extremely important to examine your feet every day to catch wounds and infections that you might not feel.  Diabetics are taught to do this with mirrors if they are too old to be fully flexible and don’t have anyone else to look for them.  Not to scare you, but...the reason why lepers used to lose their limbs is not the leprosy eat them away, but rather that they lost feeling in them and didn’t realize that they were infected or had lost circulation until it was too late to cure.

• Like 2

My mother's solution for blisters when I was a kid (which I've used into adulthood) was to thread a needle (sterilize first), then poke into and out of (like taking a single small stitch) the layer of skin forming the top of the blister, as close to the surface as possible. Pull the thread into the in/out holes and leave there, trimming the ends short enough to not interfere but not fall out. It allows the blister moisture to wick out through the thread and dry it out without losing the protection of the skin covering the blister. It dries out after a day or two, leaving the skin over it intact. Remove the thread.

Erica in OR

42 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Have you figured out what caused it?  Because it’s really important to prevent it from happening again or getting worse.  

With neuropathy, it is extremely important to examine your feet every day to catch wounds and infections that you might not feel.  Diabetics are taught to do this with mirrors if they are too old to be fully flexible and don’t have anyone else to look for them.  Not to scare you, but...the reason why lepers used to lose their limbs is not the leprosy eat them away, but rather that they lost feeling in them and didn’t realize that they were infected or had lost circulation until it was too late to cure.

Yeah, no clue what caused it. I literally didn't feel it or know it was there until I noticed it while taking off my socks.

I do know to be careful and to do visual inspections periodically. So I'm not sure how this one got this large before I caught it.