Menu

Anyone read "Historia de las Indias" by Bartolome de las Casas? In Spanish? Or just have a copy?

Sort of an off topic question, but one I figure someone here might be able to answer.  

Has anyone here read "Historia de las Indias" by Bartolome de las Casas?   In Spanish?   And or just  happen to have it sitting on your shelf?

This is not "A Brief Account of the Destruction of the Indies"...that's a different, shorter work las Casas wrote that often gets confused for that one.   "History of the Indies" is unfortunately only partially translated into English.

I'm doing research and  I really need to figure out what chapter contains info about Columbus putting down a native revolt (it was a huge revolt, and he was said to have put it down brutally).     It's one of the chapters that haven't been translated I want to read that for myself (and am willing to google translate it...it's not ideal but it's worked better than expected for some other chapters).   But I don't know which chapter it's in.   Maybe you have a version with an index or chapter titles and can point me in the right direction?   Thanks so much in advance.

Edited by goldenecho

19 hours ago, bibiche said:

It’s available on Project Gutenberg.

Yes, that's where  I've been translating it from...chapter by chapter of the ones missing from the English translation I have.   But my problem is that is slow going and I want to skip ahead to the part where that Arawak revolt took place.   I thought maybe there was another version that had chapter titles or someone maybe just knew what chapter it was in.    It was worth a shot. 

7 hours ago, goldenecho said:

Yes, that's where  I've been translating it from...chapter by chapter of the ones missing from the English translation I have.   But my problem is that is slow going and I want to skip ahead to the part where that Arawak revolt took place.   I thought maybe there was another version that had chapter titles or someone maybe just knew what chapter it was in.    It was worth a shot. 

Ah, okay. Sorry, my copy is at the office and I can’t go there right now. Good luck.