Menu

7th grade LA

I need help for my 7th grader! Please share pros/cons if you’ve used any of these programs or if you have something else you just love!  I work full time so anything that can be done independently is a plus, although she’s not really great at getting assignments done without me around . 

Writing: did IEW SWI-A and part of a theme book. Started first 5 weeks of WWS1. DD didn’t do either one very enthusiastically. I have IEW continuation course for level B (but not SWI-B) or can continue WWS. Also considering EIW. She needs something to break writing down into small steps at a time and preferably with a daily lesson plan. 

Literature: looking at EIW or Analytical Grammar’s Beyond the Book Report. 

Vocabulary: Wordly Wise or Vocabulary from Classical Roots. She did WW this year and did not love all of the exercises each week. I feel like VCR might be better prep for future things such as SAT and foreign languages, but is it too boring?

Grammar: Analytical Grammar but open to other suggestions 

Thanks for any help you can give me!

I use IEW and the progression can be the continuation course next if you have done the 1st level course successfully. So, with my rising 7th grader, we did SWI A and then SIIC A when she was in 5th and 6th along with other, online writing courses from www.hometoteach.com. Next year I will do IEW continuation B with her; SWI B would be redundant. I also use many IEW theme books because she likes them. I plan on also using WWS Level 1 with her the first part of the year because I am waiting for the  new 2nd year Level B that should be coming out in early 2021. IEW definitely could be done independently if your daughter has experience with it already.

I have not used EIW for literature and only used Jr. Analytical Grammar (last year for 6th) so can't comment on those. I plan on using several different things for literature including novel studies from a list I have compiled, short stories with units from lovinlit on www.teacherspayteachers.com, and poetry with Art of Poetry (Classical Academic Press).  I would like to do a Shakespeare study with Tales from Shakespeare and other resources if we can get to it.

We used Vocabulary from Classical Roots (Level A) last year for 6th Vocabulary and it was a bust for DD. She really didn't like it, found it confusing, boring, etc. She's a language arts type person so I was surprised but maybe it was too "early" for her. We will switch to Sadlier Oxford Vocabulary Level B for next year. I also looked at Vocabulit, which I will use with my 4th grader, but my 7th grader wants to try the Sadlier (her older brother uses Sadlier).

For Grammar I will use a mixture of things like Sentence Diagramming by Critical Thinking Press, Analogies for All of Us, Stewart English Program Books 1 & 2, and Easy Grammar Ultimate Workbook Grade 9. I m considering Rod & Staff English 6 or 7 to fill in any gaps.

We're trying Analytical Grammar and will probably do some BtBR activities this year, but no experience with either one yet. We primarily do Mosdos for literature, but I think some of the BtBR activities would work for free-reading or even with the stories in Mosdos.

Even she is okay continuing with WWS, I would consider keeping it, since it is an excellent program and is designed to be done independently. Another choice might be Writeshop. It is teacher intensive at first, but should become more independent over time as she learns the format. And it has a daily lesson plan.

For literature this year, we are doing The Iliad unit from Memoria Press. It comes with video lectures, so should be relatively independent.