Menu

A follow-up to Tiner's History of Medicine?

alisoncooks

DD loved The History of Medicine (Tiner). She wants a follow-up, since that book doesn't go into modern medicine. Is there anything out there that is comparable? She like the writing style, as well as the subject.  I'm not sure if Hakim's science histories would be what she wants; she specifically says she liked the medical aspect. 

Thanks!

We enjoyed that one too. Off the top of my head I can't think of anything similar. I was going to suggest the Pandia Press free Pandemic unit study though. It has some research projects with some good articles specifically on the Spanish Flu and others, plus some hands on science labs. It kind of goes along with the general theme of the History of Medicine. 

• Like 2

As a side note, we also enjoyed others in Tiner's series (Planet Earth, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, etc.)...  BUT, those are not medicine. 😉 

Perhaps she would enjoy biographies of some of the people covered in Tiner's book??

Encyclopedia Britannica: Medicine in the 20th Century
-- this is an article with short paragraphs about key people/discoveries of the 20th century; maybe she could use this as a launching point for researching specific discoveries more in depth that are of interest to her??

Here are a few ideas, though nothing exactly what she's looking for:
Accidental Medical Discoveries (Winters) -- all medical, through history; high school/adult reading level
Discoveries in Science That Changed the World (Johnson) -- gr. 4-6?
All About Great Medical Discoveries (Dietz) -- 1960; looks to be at an upper elementary/YA level, and key medical discoveries throughout history
Serendipity: Accidental Discoveries in Science (Roberts) -- not just medical, and not just modern -- it's science discoveries throughout history

Not a follow-up, and not all medical (actually focuses on ancient science in different countries, with medicine as one of the sciences), but the Science of the Past series is also interesting. At a grade 4-6 level, so these may be too young (but they were quite interesting! 😉 ) Science in...
... Ancient Egypt
...Ancient Greece
...Ancient Rome
...Ancient India
...Ancient China
...Early Islamic Cultures

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 3