Menu

Paint color recommendations

IfIOnly

I'm turning 2/3 of a barn into a rec room with ping pong table, carpet ball, some couches, etc. (other 1/3 is shop and storage) and can't figure out a main paint color. I had my heart set on blue walls, white ceiling, and orange shelves similar to the screenshot but a more royal blue, less navy. The closer I get to buying paint, I'm thinking the space should probably be lighter colored because there's just not a lot of natural light unless both garage doors are open, which isn't practical a lot of the year with our hot summers and cold winters. I'd like the space kind of fun and colorful but go back and forth with just painting in the cream with a hint of yellow that's in the house!

What color(s) would you paint this rec room? Any other thoughts?

Thank you!

IMG_20200601_181707362.jpg

IMG_20200601_181723811.jpg

IMG_20200601_181932143.jpg

Screenshot_20200603-160448.png

Edited by IfIOnly

I’d leave the wood, but make everything else light and bright including maybe a skylight, and or some mirrors to reflect outside light a bunch of times. And maybe do a bright light blue (turquoise maybe rather than sky) stain and polish on the concrete floor if that’s what is...   then orange and white for furnishings would be fine...  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pen said:

I’d leave the wood, but make everything else light and bright including maybe a skylight, and or some mirrors to reflect outside light a bunch of times. And maybe do a bright light blue (turquoise maybe rather than sky) stain and polish on the concrete floor if that’s what is...   then orange and white for furnishings would be fine...  

Some things to consider. 👍 Hadn't thought of staining and sealing the concrete. That's a great idea. Thank you!

@Pen It hadn't occured to me to not paint because the wood isn't in the best shape in certain places, but your idea got me thinking and searching.

Did you all know there's such a thing as bleaching wood? With just plain old Clorox? Never heard of it, but it's a thing. That might brighten up the wood enough and even out some discoloration (not the cute distressing kind) to make the wood doable.

I've already scrubbed the floors and shelves with a lot of bleach, why not paint the walls with it. Hm.

Screenshot_20200603-214212.png

Edited by IfIOnly
  • Like 2