Menu

Grammar Suggestions?

I have a rising 6th grader who hasn't done much formal grammar, and am wanting to do something about that.

I went back to school, so I am looking to add something that he can mostly do on his own. I prefer something with the lesson + exercises in one book.

We tried KISS for a few weeks, but it didn't have enough explanation in it. I'd also prefer just buying a book so that I don't have to print out the worksheets every day. (and we don't have a color printer, so printing out the lessons wouldn't be too helpful)

My hope is that he can get at least a good survey of grammar, some exposure to using new combinations of parts of speech (when he writes he still uses relatively simple sentence structures), and a better grasp of punctuation.

I'm considering purchasing this book because it looks like it might be a good fit, but wanted to see if anyone here had any suggestions first? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1641520825/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

We also plan to start using the Bravewriter Arrows, so there will be some grammar in there too. I just want something he can more or less do on his own while I'm in class, and that covers the traditional grammar class. (It seems like the Arrow will be similar to Writing With Ease in terms of teacher involvement)

Petrichor:

Do you think he might be ready for my course:
https://hscollegebound.com/Online-Courses-The-Writers-Guide-to-Grammar.htm

It's aimed at kids older than sixth grade, but there's a video illustrating my methods and approaches; it will help you gauge his readiness for this material. (You can also download/view the pages that correspond to this video, including a few exercises:
https://hscollegebound.com/PDFs/STUDENT-WORKBOOK-Curtain-Raisers.pdf  )

Please let me know if you have any questions, Petrichor, and good luck to you.

—Roy

Analytical Grammar is a complete 3 year program for middle school and by the end your student will know their grammar. Thorough and relatively easy to implement and very incremental. For the parent, it takes about 15 minutes or so on Monday to go over each lesson, then just a few minutes to grade each day the rest of the week. For the student, it depends on how quickly they catch on and are able to diagram, usually about a half an hour per day. It's worked for all 3 of my oldest kids who all have different learning styles and I'm using it with the 4th one now. I probably won't ever use any other grammar program 🙂