Menu

Adding my location :-) - Just curious - getting take out food during Covid-19

mlktwins

6 hours ago, kand said:

What troubles me about this risk is that they are finding the virus replicates easily in the throat (https://www.msn.com/en-my/news/world/coronavirus-replicates-in-throat-making-it-easy-to-transmit-german-scientists-say/ar-BB12pwBO). So it seems like contaminated food or drink in your mouth would be a risk. I can’t imagine any way that every particle virus would end up in your stomach rather than some staying behind on your throat. Unless there was a very low viral load on whatever was contaminated, in which case it would be unlikely to make you sick anyway.

I had already given up on my theory because it failed the mouth and intestinal parts of the digestive tract but now adding replication in the throat. Perhaps the increase in the throat is how enough of the virus survives the stomach to appear in the intestines.  I will admit to being sad my theory reagarding contaminated food has been shown to be incorrect.....it’s getting harder to resist cold items.  

My family remains at the occasional curbside stage of dining out with reheating at home.  No cold items........Groceries via home delivery and curbside depending on the store.  I am not sure when I will be ready to expand.  

One of my nearby stores had a mask only policy and yesterday when we drove by the sign was gone, I am hoping they just moved it inside because we had storms..........I am starting to worry that I may have missed what for me psychologically would have been the next step.

• Like 1

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, mumto2 said:

I will admit to being sad my theory reagarding contaminated food has been shown to be incorrect.....it’s getting harder to resist cold items.  

Aside from once or twice per year we had only gotten “takeout” from our grocery stores with hot bars, deli, coffee and juice bars, etc areas in recent times.  

Those were closed for awhile, but now seem to have switched to pre packaged options, so that many people aren’t breathing on food doing personal selections.  

And there are now pre made cold drinks where baristas / juicer machine operators have worn masks to make them (and I Hope thoroughly cleaned any fruits and vegetables too).  There are also commercial bottled ones like from Columbia Gorge, Odwalla etc, or Cold brew coffees, mochas etc, in bottles, including Starbucks etc in a refrigerator case it seems ...

If the people making them have washed their hands and surfaces, are masked, and have washed the produce, it may be okay for a salad  or juice bar item.   Similar for iced drinks.  ...  

? Might taking a zinc lozenge after any such eating help inactive ate virus from

mouth on down? 

• Like 1