Menu

Does anyone find the "breaking news" that we are in a recession hysterical?

when I tried to just "run in" the book store and pick up a book, I'd have to say we are pretty wimpy if we dare compare our current situation to the Great Depression.

My dad told me tales of many nights with no dinner for him and six siblings. How a mere shared loaf of bread was like a brick of gold.

Nope, I think things could be much, much worse. As a society, we're just too spoiled to see it, I think.

ETA: Sorry Drama Queen, I think I misunderstood the original intent of your post. I know that your family is among those genuinely facing hard times due to the state of things. FWIW, I do agree that it is a bit silly for the news venues to sensationalize this stuff when, as you say, the signs have been there for a long time.

Edited by AuntieM

when I tried to just "run in" the book store and pick up a book, I'd have to say we are pretty wimpy if we dare compare our current situation to the Great Depression.

My dad told me tales of many nights with no dinner for him and six siblings. How a mere shared loaf of bread was like a brick of gold.

Nope, I think things could be much, much worse. As a society, we're just too spoiled to see it, I think.

:confused:

No one said anything about a depression.

ETA: I just saw your edit. I just think it is funny that they think this is "Breaking News" as if the majority of us already *know* we are in a recession!

Edited by Renee in FL

Well, I think that the announcement comes because of the definition of a recession: "a significant decline in economic activity spread across the economy, lasting more than a few months, normally visible in real GDP growth, real personal income, employment (non-farm payrolls), industrial production, and wholesale-retail sales." This is also added to from an investment definition as "for 2 or more consecutive quarters".

So because of that definition, I remember here on the board even, as many of us were crying out that we were in a recession, or at the very least, seeing that one was inevitable and imminent (using common sense), many others were saying we were not.

In my book, common sense wins out any day. ;)