Menu

My dd took German 1 at co-op last year. It went well; she learned a lot and received a good grade. Since it also did well going online, I had decided to sign her up for German 2 through the same co-op. Then, yesterday, I stopped by during my assigned half hour to pick up various end of year things. The entire coop was not following the social distancing rules of the state nor of the church where they meet. Because of this, I have decided I need to find another option for German 2. I'd be ok if the co-op class remained online, but I won't feel comfortable returning in person (as it most likely will at some point during the school year). Any recommendations? I'd like for someone other than me to teach her, so an online or recorded class, although I studied German and can definitely assist. 

Edited by beckyjo

Does she like the interaction with other students? Does she like to go at her own pace & do well with self-imposed deadlines? Or would she rather have someone else impose deadlines?

German Online through Oklahoma State U is go-at-your-own pace & the price is right. Some families love it.

My DD enjoyed CLRC's German classes - live, interactive, and even a bit fun. It doesn't go at a breakneck pace, so if you are looking for rigorous, you might want to look at WTMA, Excelsior, or HSLDA Online (there are others--check teacher names & prices as some share the same teacher with much different costs).There are several other options for live German classes depending on how Christian you can handle & how far you want to be able to go with German.

My kid graduated after only two years of German, but I know not many providers go through AP level right now. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

Does she like the interaction with other students? Does she like to go at her own pace & do well with self-imposed deadlines? Or would she rather have someone else impose deadlines?

German Online through Oklahoma State U is go-at-your-own pace & the price is right. Some families love it.

My DD enjoyed CLRC's German classes - live, interactive, and even a bit fun. It doesn't go at a breakneck pace, so if you are looking for rigorous, you might want to look at WTMA, Excelsior, or HSLDA Online (there are others--check teacher names & prices as some share the same teacher with much different costs).There are several other options for live German classes depending on how Christian you can handle & how far you want to be able to go with German.

My kid graduated after only two years of German, but I know not many providers go through AP level right now. 

She wants interaction, and she is definitely better with imposed deadlines. At this point, it's unknown how far she'll want to go with German. Thanks, RootAnn, I'll look into these. CLRC sounds like it may be a perfect fit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, beckyjo said:

My dd took German 1 at co-op last year. It went well; she learned a lot and received a good grade. Since it also did well going online, I had decided to sign her up for German 2 through the same co-op. Then, yesterday, I stopped by during my assigned half hour to pick up various end of year things. The entire coop was not following the social distancing rules of the state nor of the church where they meet. Because of this, I have decided I need to find another option for German 2. I'd be ok if the co-op class remained online, but I won't feel comfortable returning in person (as it most likely will at some point during the school year). Any recommendations? I'd like for someone other than me to teach her, so an online or recorded class, although I studied German and can definitely assist. 

My kids have loved the WTMA live German classes. My oldest son just finished German IV this year with Frau Edwards (he did DE for German I and II, then started at WTMA with German III) and my middle son took German I (also with Frau Edwards). 

The books and materials used were great, and there were lots of opportunities to practice all of the various language skills (speaking, listening, reading, and writing). All of my kids prefer live classes and getting to "know" their classmates, so WTMA worked out great from that perspective as well. Feel free to ask if you have more specific questions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1