Menu

Cursive

lulalu

This year we used Pentime Transitions for 2nd. I like the price, slant, and hand 😁 We used HWOT for manuscript in k and 1st. I really love HWOT method, but I don't like the cursive. 

BUT I felt like with Pentime I really needed a simple way to explain the strokes, and more work on curves and such before the letters. It was just tracing, no explaining. The were practice sheets at the end with strokes, but very little. 

After working through the workbook he still is lost with cursive. He can read it well now. 

What I am looking for:

-Verbal directions on how to form the letters 

-Slant (no HWOT) 

-motor memory work, practicing strokes over and over

-A maybe is something that adds in tactile practice or maybe I use our chalkboard from HWOT for wet, dry, try

-I would like to keep it under $20 unless it is really really good

2 hours ago, lulalu said:

This year we used Pentime Transitions for 2nd. I like the price, slant, and hand 😁 We used HWOT for manuscript in k and 1st. I really love HWOT method, but I don't like the cursive. 

BUT I felt like with Pentime I really needed a simple way to explain the strokes, and more work on curves and such before the letters. It was just tracing, no explaining. The were practice sheets at the end with strokes, but very little. 

After working through the workbook he still is lost with cursive. He can read it well now. 

What I am looking for:

-Verbal directions on how to form the letters 

-Slant (no HWOT) 

-motor memory work, practicing strokes over and over

-A maybe is something that adds in tactile practice or maybe I use our chalkboard from HWOT for wet, dry, try

-I would like to keep it under $20 unless it is really really good

Zaner Bloser. It teaches the strokes that are used in cursive, then teaches the letters using the strokes.

Here are some free downloadable pages.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, perkybunch said:

I didn't like the connections between letters with HWOT, but I just re-wrote them the way I preferred in the book, right next to their version.  So I kept using HWOT.  You could do the same, and just add slant.  (I am a lefty and taught a lefty so we don't care about slant.)

I am a lefty teaching a righty 😁 it has made some things interesting! 

• Haha 1

My son will be learning cursive next year.  I second Universal Handwriting.  Samples are available online.  I also like The Good and Beautiful books and Zaner Bloser.

I also did not like HWOT cursive.

• Like 1

I, too, didn't like the look of HWOT cursive, but I used it with my older three and it worked really well for all of them.  

I've used New American Cursive from Memoria Press with my #4 kiddo and I really like it as well.  I don't think you can go wrong with either of those two.

2 of my 4 that have learned cursive were lefties, btw.  One with HWOT and one with NAC, and both have lovely lefty accommodations. 

• Like 1