Menu

Math U See issue--how to handle

One of mine has issues with attention that make math his weakest subject.

I think Math U See is probably our best option for Algebra 2 and math beyond that going forward, mostly because lessons are so short.

The problem we're hitting is that he is able to do well on the classwork/workbook, but then the test over the material will often have a question very unlike what he's seen in the practice problems. 

I don't know if perhaps the thinking is that the practice should give him all the basics and then he should be able to handle something a little more on the test, but he doesn't. It's discouraging.

I'll give an example: all practice problems might be something like A^2+A^4 divided by A^2. He was factoring out A^2, then dividing by A^2 to get 1+A^2. There were lots of variations, but that same technique and problem type. In fact, he was actually taught in that chapter lesson to factor what he can out of the numerator, then divide by the denominator. 

On the test:

5M + 2 divided by 5M. He was supposed to say 1 +2/5M as his final answer. I'm disappointed he didn't know enough to do that, especially given he's completed a different Algebra 1 program, and we did extensive Algebra 1 review at his request after Geometry. I want to say that if he really understood this stuff, he should have been able to reason it out. But this threw him. I looked back, and I see nothing in the text or practice like this problem. He could always factor the denominator out of all portions of the numerator in the work to that test point. I wish it had been in there! I think he should khow how to handle this. But why does it show up for the first time on the test?

Am I going to see a ton of this going forward? Should I write my own tests? Is something wrong with the way I'm looking at this (should the test be a bit beyond the practice here?) I feel frustrated, and he is thinking he's "just not good at math."  I may call the company. I just want to know if it's my kid or the program and if there is a way to adapt it. 

Edited by sbgrace

It's been a couple years since we did Algebra 2, but I want to say that your problem isn't super unusual.  I would just throw out problems that I thought were unfair.  Or if I felt my student should know how to do something that was on the test, I would allow corrections.  I wouldn't make my own tests, but I would just feel free to make judgment calls on this stuff.  MUS is great, but does occasionally require modifying.

Oh, also sometimes I would put formulas on test or re-word certain problems if I felt it wasn't clear.  You don't have to do that 90 percent of the time or anything, but yes, occasionally.

Edited by perkybunch
  • Like 1

MUS Algebra 2 tests have a lot of problems that go back to earlier work and have not been reviewed in the lesson -- even in the "review" lessons. 

The main ones that threw my child were labeling the quadrants of the coordinate plane.  I mean, I totally don't care about that really and none of our other math touches on it. 

At any rate, we ended up just having my child flag any problems he felt hadn't been taught and try to do them; I didn't deduct points for those if they were wrong.  Maybe I gave "extra credit" if they were right, not sure.  Also, when I was on my game I looked over his tests a day or so ahead of time and reviewed/re-taught anything I thought needed brushing up. 

On the positive side: can be good practice for not being totally "thrown" when the child encounters a testing problem that he can't solve.  That is a useful skill to learn.  😉 

Yes we had that issue with MUS too. I preferred Teaching Textbooks, also shorter lessons with immediate feedback and explanation of problems. (I know, I know, not the most rigorous but it’s fine for many kids).

That same kid went on to do some Derek Owens math senior year and is doing just fine in his Computer Science major.

I just realized my prior answer was probably a little too glib ... I did make sure to teach what was on the tests after the fact, so that going forward the child could do the problems.  Also:

1.  Was it simply a matter of the format of the answer?  Because you can allow some wiggle room there, and teach him as he goes what MUS expects.

2.  The customer service is one of the very best aspects of MUS: they are great.  If this annoys you, or is in any way troublesome, I strongly suggest just ringing them up and talking with somebody about it. 

🙂