Menu

Handwriting Help

I need something to help my daughter improve her handwriting.  She's dyslexic (some dysgraphia too I presume), but she's motivated to improve her penmanship.  Are there any programs that are not juvenile in nature that she could work through to improve?  She's 13, getting closer to 14 years old.

Callirobics worked very well as a first step here to improving our then-teen DS#2's penmanship. He struggled with stealth dyslexia, which esp. impacted his Handwriting, Spelling, Writing, and Math abilities. It is a 5-minute/day "warm-up" to practice the types of lines and motions used in handwriting. (It looks like the Retrain the Brain program is similar to Callirobics, but with a sensationalistic advertising about ADD and Ritalin, lol.)

We also used the Dianne Craft writing 8s exercise to assist with strengthening brain hemisphere connections. I believe Dianne Craft has other techniques geared to assist with dyslexia and dysgraphia, as well as suggesting as cross-lateral movements and nutritional supplements.

Edited by Lori D.

Zaner Bloser used to have a course that was meant for adults. Its penmanship instruction, in general, is pretty good: it teaches the strokes first (under curve, over curve diagonal line, forward circle, etc.), and then the letters that use each stroke(s.)

Also, maybe she'd like something like calligraphy, or something fancy like Spencerian.

I used the "Raise the Roof" curriculum by Print Path with my 13 year old to help him improve his printing, which was horrible.  It's designed by an occupational therapist, and though it's meant to help kids move from kindergarten lines to regular lines, it also addresses letter formation and other handwriting problems, and that's why I used it with him.   https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Handwriting-Practice-3rd-4th-grade-Handwriting-Without-Tears-STYLE-FONT-1423658?aref=bb5v9x01

• 2 weeks later...