Menu

Educational path for a missionary

So I get that someone who wants to be a missionary will probably eventually go to a Bible college, seminary, and/or specialized training and/or language school. And I *also* get that if you know you want to be a medical missionary or a flight missionary, then those goals help direct your educational path. But if you have a kiddo (say middle school) who is convinced God is calling them to missions work (and has been for 4+ years, though not certain exactly what kind), how would you tailor their education towards that (or would you - is that too early to really narrow the focus)?

I get how I'd tailor the education of a child who had med school aspirations (e.g., focus on extra science and math). Or law school. Or artsy. Or trade (hello apprenticeships!). But, besides teaching bible well, critical thinking skills, exposure to a variety of cultures, reading missionary biographies, learning a second or third language, and possibly learning a portable instrument - is there anything in particular that you'd focus on from an educational perspective?

Or, honestly, would you just keep things broad, somewhat "standard"?

This child doesn't have any particular academic interests purely for interest's sake - she learns things only as a means to an end -- usually the end being just to get school "done" (,unless it has to do with Laura Ingals Wilder, lol).

I would try and hone down areas of interest within missions. Look at different organizations and what they do (Mercy Ships, Samaritan's Purse, Wycliffe Bible Translators, Missionary pilots, etc.) and proceed from there. If she really identifies with a specific mission then you can focus on academics needed for that particular field.  I have friends who have used their teaching degrees, pilot's licenses, nursing degrees, red seal trades and many others to do missionary work with various organizations. For what it is worth I also have a daughter who insists that she is going to be a missionary, but she is only seven at the moment.

• Like 1

If the interest is in overseas missions, in the last decade or two, there is a big move in many countries to only be accepting people into the country who have training and education that will help their own people -- so professionals like teachers, medical people, engineers, etc. Or, businesses and business professionals coming in to establish businesses. All of those things require a college degree, so if any of those areas are of interest to the student, then you might consider a bit more focus in that direction during high school -- as support for the college career field, and it's a bonus if the student still wants to go into missions after college. Also -- most missions groups require or strongly recommend earning a college degree in advance of applying.

I'd also suggest looking into the local missions opportunities right in your own home town -- working with the elderly, foster children, refugees; church outreaches with programs for food banks, meals on wheels. Learn what sharing the love of God is all about by serving those in need in one's one neighborhood/city.

I know there is a certain "glamor" about the idea of overseas missions (Katie Davis Majors, for example -- not meaning to sound like I'm dismissing her amazing work). But the missionary biographies -- and even short-term international missions -- can be unintentionally deceptive by romanticizing mission work -- and also cause us to miss seeing what God might be calling us to do in long-term, daily, quiet, ordinary, unglamorous (lol) service and love to those right around us. If nothing else, doing regular work with local ministries is a great way to see now if that is really what you're cut out for -- a life of service and sacrifice in the ministry. JMO! 

Since this child is young (middle school), and not highly self-motivated about academics at this stage, I don't think I'd work too hard to plan a high school course of study as prep for missions -- a solid college prep set of credits is more likely to be of help at this stage. And if the calling is still strong along about 10th grade, then I'd consider planning credits for 11th-12th grades that would support the specific college/career areas that would be used in the specific missions focus.

Again, JMO! BEST of luck as you and DD find ways to explore this field. Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 5

Keep it general. There are far too many variables to narrow education down. And only time will show and lead her in how her future will look (and even then, there can be so many changes after starting). 

Also, keep the biographies short. I know people love them, but they really don't always give good insight to the work. And sometimes the biographies can give fame where fame doesn't belong. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lulalu said:

Keep it general. There are far too many variables to narrow education down. And only time will show and lead her in how her future will look (and even then, there can be so many changes after starting). 

Also, keep the biographies short. I know people love them, but they really don't always give good insight to the work. And sometimes the biographies can give fame where fame doesn't belong. 

I probably said that wrong when I talked about narrowing. It's just that she does the "general" stuff like math, history, science, and English relatively quickly, and we still have a lotta time to fill. lol. So I didn't mean "narrow" in the sense of cutting out stuff, as much as I meant that we're looking for ideas on where to go with the rest of our time. 🙂

So far, I feel like the biographies have been appropriate, and the take away about God's work (rather than man's), but this is a good reminder.

14 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

Survival skills, first aid, self-defense, be sure she gets all her shots, teaching practice

Other than that, keep it broad, as you say-- learn about other cultures, Bible, read as much as she can about everything. The better rounded she is, the more she will be able to share.

Regular, ongoing teaching practice is a great idea. So much to be learned from that, regardless of what she goes into.

14 hours ago, lwest said:

I would try and hone down areas of interest within missions. Look at different organizations and what they do (Mercy Ships, Samaritan's Purse, Wycliffe Bible Translators, Missionary pilots, etc.) and proceed from there. If she really identifies with a specific mission then you can focus on academics needed for that particular field.  I have friends who have used their teaching degrees, pilot's licenses, nursing degrees, red seal trades and many others to do missionary work with various organizations. For what it is worth I also have a daughter who insists that she is going to be a missionary, but she is only seven at the moment.

This is a good thought. I bet we could make a list of organizations and then just start looking into them and their work for a month or two each. That might really help her know what's going on in the world *now* (rather than historically from the biographies.)

14 hours ago, Lori D. said:

I'd also suggest looking into the local missions opportunities right in your own home town -- working with the elderly, foster children, refugees; church outreaches with programs for food banks, meals on wheels. Learn what sharing the love of God is all about by serving those in need in one's one neighborhood/city.

I know there is a certain "glamor" about the idea of overseas missions (Katie Davis Majors, for example -- not meaning to sound like I'm dismissing her amazing work). But the missionary biographies -- and even short-term international missions -- can be unintentionally deceptive by romanticizing mission work -- and also cause us to miss seeing what God might be calling us to do in long-term, daily, quiet, ordinary, unglamorous (lol) service and love to those right around us. If nothing else, doing regular work with local ministries is a great way to see now if that is really what you're cut out for -- a life of service and sacrifice in the ministry. JMO! 

Ha ha, she *does* love  Katie Davis Majors, but she is also exposed to variety of not-so-glamorous biographies, including ones where families have lost children, spouses, been kidnapped, tossed into POW or concentration camps, and particularly ones where white missionaries have gone off somewhere convinced they were going to "save the world," only to find that their often-misguided and sometimes-arrogant efforts can do a lot more to damage than to help.

She's also had some experience working with elderly in assisted living homes, refugees, food banks, homeless, and people struggling with addiction. Thanks for the reminder, and maybe I should urge her to think of other local ministries that she could volunteer for to "get her feet wet." 🙂  I wonder if a local school has a tutoring / homework help program for their (younger) at-risk kids. I think that might be right up her alley (and perhaps also motivate her in her own studies!! lol).

• Like 1