Menu

Where to get essential oils, pretty plastic jars?

The lone dishcloth/washcloth thread got me to thinking I need to add more to the dishcloths/washcloths I'm giving.

I found a few recipes online for sugar scrubs, but where do you get essential oils and what would be a good container for them?

Does anyone have an EASY recipe for sugar scrubs or bath salts that you really like?

Thanks

I get essential oils at Whole Foods, or through eBay if it's something I use a lot.

I get containers for stuff at Wholesale Supplies Plus I gave you the company president's blog link because she puts recipes on that. The link to the company page is at the bottom of their banner. They also sell "compare to" fragrance oils that are similar to popular scents, in addition to essential oils and whatnot.

essential oils should not be stored in plastic, but I could be wrong! I made the bath salts thing last year and found pretty glass jars at the dollar store. I "think" we just mixed some epsom salts with a few drops of essential oil-we used peppermint. I don't remember measuring, just guesstimating. We then mixed half the salts with red food coloring, then layered them in the glass jar: layer of clear, layer of red and so on and it looked like a candy cane. Then we tied a red and white ribbon around the neck and attached a small card to each one that was like a gift card that said to put 2T in the hot bath and enjoy a home relaxation spa or something to that effect. I think we got the oil at Michael's or AC Moore, but they were the type you add to candles to make them smell so they were in the candle section. HTH!

essential oils should not be stored in plastic, but I could be wrong!

No, some of them (ok, tea tree oil) will actually eat through plastic and make the exterior of the bottle all gummy. :ack2: I've never had that experience with lavender, eucalyptus or any other that I use a lot and tend to buy in large bottles, though. Only the tea tree.

For medicinal quality essential oils at the best price, try

http://www.mountainroseherbs.com

They also have good deals on bulk sea salt, epsom salt and body care oils.

It really is best to get the good quality oils, the ones even at Whole Foods are sub-par and can cause allergies for sensitive skin~

Their shipping is a little slow, so you may want to ask when your package will arrive.

Be sure to put the salts in glass only!

You really can get decent and pretty containers at the dollar store, Michaels or Hobby Lobby....

There are a few nice homemade skincare recipes listed in their e-newsletter below:

http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/newsletter/08/November/home.html

Hope this helps and kudos to you for making nice gifts!!!:001_smile:

For medicinal quality essential oils at the best price, try

http://www.mountainroseherbs.com

They also have good deals on bulk sea salt, epsom salt and body care oils.

It really is best to get the good quality oils, the ones even at Whole Foods are sub-par and can cause allergies for sensitive skin~

Their shipping is a little slow, so you may want to ask when your package will arrive.

Be sure to put the salts in glass only!

You really can get decent and pretty containers at the dollar store, Michaels or Hobby Lobby....

There are a few nice homemade skincare recipes listed in their e-newsletter below:

http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/newsletter/08/November/home.html

Hope this helps and kudos to you for making nice gifts!!!:001_smile:

5Youngs, I just spent a few minutes perusing your links and had to tell you what cute kiddos and beautiful jewelry you have! Also, the link to the e-newsletter was great.

I'd love to get quality oils locally. Any ideas on what chain stores might carry them?

Thanks!

Chelle

Thanks, they are sweet boys!!!;)

Aura cacia oils are probably available at a store near you.

They are perfectly fine to use, not too expensive and pretty well-known.

I have used them before, and they are fine.

They just aren't the highest quality, so you don't get all of the health benefits that you can with the mountain rose oils.

For gifts, they are probably the wisest choice, bc of the cost and they will smell heavenly.

My personal favorite mix for the bath and salts is red mandarin and lavender.

I've been known to disappear for a bath a few times a week.......:)

Best stress reliever that I know of~

Hope this helps!

Thanks, 5Youngs! I hate continue to hi-jack home4school's thread, but maybe she or someone else can benefit from your answers to my questions...forgive me for not knowing more about this subject, but can you tell me more about quality and health benefits with the different brands of oils? What do the lower quality ones not do, or what is it that the higher quality ones do that's better?

I'm really interested in making the salts for myself--I love a relaxing bath--and for gifts.

Again, thanks!

Chelle