Menu

Need history suggestions

Next year the kids will be in 7th, 4th, 2nd, and pre-k. We started with SOTW when ODD was in 1st, but for various reasons we are still finishing it up 😬🤪 This year we are finishing vol.3 so next year we need to do modern times. We listen to the audios and discuss it. We also do one or 2 real alouds on the time period. I think that we are getting a bit tired of it, especially since we have been doing it for so long. Especially for 7th grader, I think she would like something a bit deeper and less of an overview. But I hate to quit when we are so close to finishing. Is there a different program I could use for modern times just to mix it up a bit but still feel like we completed the whole cycle? Or if you were burnt out, would you just throw in the towel and go for something else? Suggestions?

Well you could lick and a promise SOTW4, covering it over the summer but using a *movie* for each time chunk rather than a read aloud. Then in the fall move on to geography or something else for a break. At that point, you'd have an 8th grader who could do Hakim or whatever you want starting over. The VP cards would have the chunks for Hakim if you wanted to use that along with SOTW4, but I think that's going to bug you to do half of Hakim. Or maybe not?

Modern history is so easily done with movies, and it could be the change of pace you need, especially now. I agree, a rising 7th grader is ready to do more, even if it's just more with synthesis. So what would you do with that 7th grader if you weren't worried about finishing the sequence?