Menu

work shoes....suggestions please

ProudGrandma

My son just started a cashiers job where he (on some days) is standing (...not even walking) for 8-9 hours with a couple short breaks.  His feet are killing him.  He is not allowed to wear crocs (his favorite shoe)...or at least not the ones that look like crocs.  He did buy a pair of good tennis shoes (right after Christmas) , and they were great for a short while, but not so much anymore.  And of course being a teen age boy, he doesn't want to wear "old people shoes".   He has sensory issues with his feet (always has) and so work boot type things will be very uncomfortable for him personally.  

Crocs now make some shoes that don't look like crocs (but rather tennis shoes), but I am not sure if they would be any better for standing.  They would probably be great for walking or walking and standing, but just standing for 8 hours, I am just not sure. Does anybody know the answer to that?  We can't afford to keep buying shoes that won't work for this job. 

So, I am wondering if there is something else out there that would be better. 

thanks for your help.

Just now, questionlover96 said:

My advice is to see if you can buy a pair of good quality orthotic shoes. You can either order them online or ask a pediatric orthopedist or orthotist to measure him for some. 

I thought about this...but he won't have the job past this summer as he is going off to college...and I doubt he would wear those anyway...because those would the "old people shoes" he was talking about. 

3 hours ago, kfeusse said:

I thought about this...but he won't have the job past this summer as he is going off to college...and I doubt he would wear those anyway...because those would the "old people shoes" he was talking about. 

I think your idea of orthotic shoes is outdated.  This is what orthotic shoes for men look like now: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=vionic+orthotic+men&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

If he can wear trail running shoes or cross trainers, take him to buy some of those AND an insole called Superfeet.  That will help a ton.  He'll want to try them on in person, try them with the insoles in person, and he'll want thick supportive soles with some cushion, nothing with a thin or minimalist sole when standing still on concrete or tile for hours at a time.