Menu

Clover Valley Chemistry Question :-)

I have read a ton of threads on Clover Valley Chemistry -- such good reviews, but I know about the amount of time spent on work concerns.  I am trying to decide if it is better to just do Chemistry in 10th, Physics in 11th, and have an easier (non-lab done at home) science year in 12th

or

would it be better to do the easier year in 10th and do Chemistry and Physics in 11th and 12th?

I know we will have PSAT, SAT and ACT prep, college research and tours, and college applications at some point.  

Any thoughts from those who have been there and done that?

Both boys are in a local Honors Biology course with lab that has been fabulous (in content and learning valuable study skills).  They have spent a LOT of time each week on it, but they have learned so much.  I know they are capable of the work, but I know Clover Valley Chemistry can be time intensive (especially Honors).  Our local options for Chemistry are not the best and I am not teaching Chemistry or Physics :-).

Any input would be much appreciated!!!

Edited by mlktwins
  • Like 1

Both chemistry and physics are hard for a lot of students... which one is harder might depend on the kid and the class and it might not entirely be predictable. The kid I thought was really going to struggle in Connie's class has a pretty good grade. It's the other kid who is a hot mess. Sigh.

In general, junior year is peak hard, so if there's a natural way that doesn't limit a student's options going forward to do something slightly easier for a subject that year, then that seems positive. Colleges want to see a student taking on harder courses junior year... but they don't know which specific online or local courses and teachers are necessarily harder than others, so... Just things to consider.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Both chemistry and physics are hard for a lot of students... which one is harder might depend on the kid and the class and it might not entirely be predictable. The kid I thought was really going to struggle in Connie's class has a pretty good grade. It's the other kid who is a hot mess. Sigh.

In general, junior year is peak hard, so if there's a natural way that doesn't limit a student's options going forward to do something slightly easier for a subject that year, then that seems positive. Colleges want to see a student taking on harder courses junior year... but they don't know which specific online or local courses and teachers are necessarily harder than others, so... Just things to consider.

Thank you!  Always fun with twins!  My one DS that is a bit lazy has really stepped up in everything this year.  My other one, who has never been a problem school-wise, has switched -- LOL.  Grades are still good, but I have to push to get the work done sometimes.  They keep me guessing!

Thanks for the info on colleges wanting to see harder courses junior year.  That is new to me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mlktwins said:

Thank you!  Always fun with twins!  My one DS that is a bit lazy has really stepped up in everything this year.  My other one, who has never been a problem school-wise, has switched -- LOL.  Grades are still good, but I have to push to get the work done sometimes.  They keep me guessing!

Thanks for the info on colleges wanting to see harder courses junior year.  That is new to me.

It's not so much that courses junior year need to be harder - I may have said that a little funny... but rather than a lot is judged by junior year - it will be the most recent complete year that colleges will see. Colleges generally want students to be taking on the most challenging courses available to them and to be increasing the level of course difficulty, so that means... junior year is hard. In practice, no one necessarily needs to go full throttle on everything... but it depends on the goals.

• Like 1

My DD is doing (and absolutely LOVING) the regular chem course. She’s a 15-year old 10th grader and she’s taking it the year after Clover Creek Physics in 9th. 

I vote for doing Connie’s chemistry class next year. You can’t get better, more organized, more enthusiastic teaching anywhere. Then follow it up with Jetta’s Physics in 11th. I think both of them are solid, without being overwhelming workloads or overly difficult content. Obviously this varies by learner, but great, fun teachers can go a long way toward making even hard stuff doable!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, fourisenough said:

My DD is doing (and absolutely LOVING) the regular chem course. She’s a 15-year old 10th grader and she’s taking it the year after Clover Creek Physics in 9th. 

I vote for doing Connie’s chemistry class next year. You can’t get better, more organized, more enthusiastic teaching anywhere. Then follow it up with Jetta’s Physics in 11th. I think both of them are solid, without being overwhelming workloads or overly difficult content. Obviously this varies by learner, but great, fun teachers can go a long way toward making even hard stuff doable!

Thank you for this!!!!

If your students are advanced and STEM oriented, the honors course is awesome.  My son is pretty accelerated in math and has found honors chem to be the perfect fit -- it was a big step up in workload to start, but it is SO well organized that he was able to adjust and later thrive.  The only things he struggles with is wanting to check over his work, lol.  So he misses points frequently for not checking over or for thinking he understood something and he didn't quite get it.  

If your kids are more humanities oriented, then I'd go for the regular course or wait until 11th or 12th.  

Clover Creek physics was a great course but I wouln't do it after an honors chem course as that would be a step down in workload and difficulty.  It was a great course.  Also be aware that when it comes to physics, Clover Creek is Algebra based whereas other high school courses can be minimum Algebra 2 or Calc based.  

• Like 2

22 hours ago, mlktwins said:

@Farrar Are your boys doing the regular or honors Chemistry?  I've read so much about the workload in honors 😲!

Regular. One of them, it's been the perfect challenge. Not overwhelming at all, but has pushed him to study. The other one is a hot mess across the board this year, so let's not go there. But just to say that Connie has been very understanding.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
1 hour ago, kand said:

These are two of the classes I am choosing between for my rising 10th grader. Can you tell me why you would choose the chemistry before the physics? I was considering doing the other way around. my oldest did chemistry, biology, physics, but I thought I would do a different order this time and started my current highschooler with biology in ninth. He will be taking Algebra 2 next year, if that factors in. 

I think either order would be fine!