Menu

Switching from Singapore Math to BJU, when happy with Singapore?

Janeway

We are finishing up Singapore Math 4B this week. We might take another week to review. I have a BJU Math 5 on my shelf. This is only because last child was doing it but we never went past the first chapter. That child just struggled with math and needed us to back up. The current child is good at math and whizzes right through it. I cannot help but feel like the BJU math should get used rather than purchasing a new book. The topics look appropriate. On the other hand, it seems like a bad idea to switch programs just because I already have something. 

Singapore is so much better for a mathy kid. BJU has a really different approach that's nowhere near as conceptual or advanced as Singapore. Unless you're really hurting for money, Singapore isn't that expensive. I'd buy the next level. No question.

Edited by Farrar
  • Like 1

Consider it "educator training"--you were learning what worked and what didn't work for a previous child. It has served it's purpose :-). Sell it with no remorse unless you have another younger student to save it for :-).

For your current child, I agree with everyone else--if it ain't broke, don't fix it! The "cost" to switching from something that works is too high (time, peace in the home, student upset etc...)

• Like 1

Judging by the scopes and sequences, BJU 5 has Roman numerals, which Singapore does not appear to teach at all (I'd appreciate it if someone with actual copies of Singapore could check the latter statement). If you are feeling the need to make that copy of BJU 5 not feel useless, you could teach that while waiting for the next level of Singapore to be delivered. This would make a self-contained unit (Roman numerals didn't take off in most of Asia, so I can't imagine Singapore would teach anything depending on that knowledge...) that might be interesting to learn but not particularly impact on what Singapore is teaching.

Otherwise, the only uses I can see for the BJU 5 for this student would be for potential review (the Well-Trained Mind book suggests that occasionally doing questions from a different curriculum can serve as a test of understanding) or extra practise if something doesn't click with a particular topic in Singapore. Sticking to curricula that work pays off.