Menu

IEW FIx It

hands-on-mama

This is our first year with it.  We have only had light grammar in the past via mbtp.  I'm using it with my fifth grader and we absolutely love it.  The continual review of concepts in different sentence structures means there is true, deep understanding.  There's no diagramming, which is fine with me.  The method IEW uses of marking words and clauses is absolutely sufficient and much faster.  It leaves plenty of time for composition and literature.  I also like the integrated vocab since we aren't using a separate program for that.

2 hours ago, Syllieann said:

This is our first year with it.  We have only had light grammar in the past via mbtp.  I'm using it with my fifth grader and we absolutely love it.  The continual review of concepts in different sentence structures means there is true, deep understanding.  There's no diagramming, which is fine with me.  The method IEW uses of marking words and clauses is absolutely sufficient and much faster.  It leaves plenty of time for composition and literature.  I also like the integrated vocab since we aren't using a separate program for that.

It sounds like it’s exactly what I’m looking for then. I don’t want heavy grammar. I prefer it being learned in the context of learning to write. Thank you!

4 hours ago, Gobblygook said:

I am using it with my 4th and 7th graders. It is light, but they both have a decent grammar base.  I was specifically looking for something light so we can focus on other areas of the language arts — composition and literature. They both really like it.

They have both done some grammar. I’m not a fan of super intense grammar, but they’ve done mostly Growing with Grammar over the years. 

2 hours ago, Plum said:

We like it. It’s a quick way to do grammar. 

One thing to keep in mind is every book builds on the previous. If your older has some grammar background, you’ll still want to start with book 1 for both. 

This is my plan! Thanks!