Menu

What next for 10th grader finishing Calculus 2 (besides AP or DE)?

We've used Thinkwell through Calculus. Before that he was doing well with AoPS, and he still goes on their website for fun. He likes math and does well with it. He didn't miss any of the math problems on his PSAT, which he took for practice as a 10 grader this year. We need something self-paced, like Thinkwell, since we like to travel.

No, he hasn't. He did PreAlgebra and Algebra at AoPS. Then he did geometry with a tutor (not an option anymore). Then Algebra 2, PreCalculus, Calculus 1&2 with Thinkwell. I think he'd enjoy going back to AoPS. Which of those would you suggest first? And are the competition classes only for those who can compete on a team? Sorry, I know nothing at all about competition math.

My daughter went on to Calc 3 (dual enrollment) then did AP Stats. I was somewhat concerned about the stats looking like a decrease in rigor for senior year, but it was fine.

But apart from AP and DE, I don't know 🙂 I think it depends a bit on his goals. FWIW, my daughter's dual enrollment Calc 3 was online, as was the stats. She had a need for a flexible schedule too and it worked out fine, though there were some deadlines in there.

Edited by GoodGrief
  • Like 1

I'd look at the AoPS classes that alewife mentioned. The counting & probability and number theory would be a nice change of pace and worthwhile. Their competition classes don't require that you enter math contests or be part of a team. From what you posted, your son might enjoy the AMC 12 problem series.

Take a look at MIT OCW Scholars:  multivariable calculus, linear algebra and differential equations - all good teachers.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Kathy in Richmond said:

I'd look at the AoPS classes that alewife mentioned. The counting & probability and number theory would be a nice change of pace and worthwhile. Their competition classes don't require that you enter math contests or be part of a team. From what you posted, your son might enjoy the AMC 12 problem series.

Take a look at MIT OCW Scholars:  multivariable calculus, linear algebra and differential equations - all good teachers.

Kathy, thank you! I was really hoping you'd post. You've been so much help to me over the years. I appreciate that you still come here to help out those of us still in the trenches.

3 hours ago, gstharr said:

Well, next is not Thinkwell AP Calculus. Thinkwell Calculus is college 1 and 2.  TW's AP calc  classes use  the exact same videos as its college calc, but oriented to the ap exam. EdX or MIT mooc, have free multivariable calc. good luck.

Yeah, I had this much figured out. Thanks for your suggestions!