Menu

Capstone senior year class

My name is Hadley, and I am a curricula addict.  There.  That’s out of the way.

Out of sheer curiosity, I ordered a used Theory of Knowledge IB textbook.  I have only perused it thus far, but I really like what I see!  It seems to be a mish-mash of philosophy, sociology, psychology, art history, dabblings of rhetoric, bits of logic, and the contents normally kept beneath the kitchen sink.

I had planned to lead a group of seniors, including my own, through a solid rhetoric course next school year, but would love to add in bits and pieces of this text as well.  My child already will have credits in art history, AP Psychology, and philosophy, so I want to avoid those topics in the course name.

Perhaps I shall title this course “Everything That I Want to Discuss With My Child Before He Leaves Home, Just In Case We Never Speak Again”??  I’m not sure how well that could be interpreted by a college admissions board if I put it on his transcript...

Anyone ever mashed this all together?  Ideas?  Maybe I’m just having a bit mania??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I like this.  Thanks!

next question...Rhetoric would be seen as an English credit, right?  He has three years of literature and composition.

3 hours ago, Momto6inIN said:

I would just call it "Senior Rhetoric and Cross Disciplinary Studies" - that would leave wiggle room for you and your students to see where the class takes you and still reflect the deep issues you plan to tackle.

6 hours ago, Hadley said:

My name is Hadley, and I am a curricula addict.  There.  That’s out of the way.

Out of sheer curiosity, I ordered a used Theory of Knowledge IB textbook.  I have only perused it thus far, but I really like what I see!  It seems to be a mish-mash of philosophy, sociology, psychology, art history, dabblings of rhetoric, bits of logic, and the contents normally kept beneath the kitchen sink.

I had planned to lead a group of seniors, including my own, through a solid rhetoric course next school year, but would love to add in bits and pieces of this text as well.  My child already will have credits in art history, AP Psychology, and philosophy, so I want to avoid those topics in the course name.

Perhaps I shall title this course “Everything That I Want to Discuss With My Child Before He Leaves Home, Just In Case We Never Speak Again”??  I’m not sure how well that could be interpreted by a college admissions board if I put it on his transcript...

Anyone ever mashed this all together?  Ideas?  Maybe I’m just having a bit mania??

Can my DD join your class?!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Hadley said:

I like this.  Thanks!

next question...Rhetoric would be seen as an English credit, right?  He has three years of literature and composition.

You could call it "English IV - Rhetoric and Cross Disciplinary Studies" if you wanted to be absolutely sure they'd realize it was a 4th English credit. 

I also think it would be fine to call it something like "Senior Capstone" on the transcript, though I like Momto6inIN's suggestion too.

I'm unclear... do you want this to be the senior English credit? If you do, I think naming it rhetoric will help. Also if you arrange your transcript by subject, that would certainly make it clear. I'd lean toward letting it be more of an elective and still doing something else with literature and so forth for senior English. But it totally depends on your goals and your student's overall year.

Thanks for all the replies.  They give me something to chew on for next year.

This is my over-the-top science and math kid, who will be tackling post-AP calculus math and post-AP physics science. Sadly, I don’t know enough about either of these courses to elaborate.  Thank goodness he knows where he is going with that...

He does need one more English credit, but I wanted to do something a little different for him for senior English.  I am a former literature teacher, so I’m really having to stretch here 😉.