Menu

Cookies! Italian Wedding this time

ChrisB

Anyone know how to make Italian Wedding Cookies?  Having never made them before, I went in search of a tasty, basic recipe only to find there are a few variation (I should've known), and I don't know which is the best, maybe more authentic, recipe.

#1 - made w/oil, plain flour, regular white sugar, and the top dipped in a liquid powdered sugar frosting after cooling.

#2 - made w/butter, half or more ground almonds w/flour, powdered sugar, and rolled in powdered sugar afterwards, much like a Russian tea cake.

So which one is more authentic?  Am I trying to chase the cookie unicorn?  LOL!!!

Edited by ChrisB

This is my recipe, from my mother. I’m pretty sure I’ve eaten them every holiday season of my life. 🙂

1 cup butter, 1/2 cup powdered sugar, 2 1/4 cups flour, 3/4 finely chopped walnuts, 1/2 tsp vanilla. 

To me Italian wedding cookies and Russian tea cakes are interchangeable, although I’m sure that’s probably wrong. I guess I don’t know if this recipe is right for either one or both but they are so delicious I’m not sure it matters. 😉 

• Like 1

I tend to agree, as long as it's delicious... my "problem" is that I saw the #1 recipe first and thought that many Italian recipes use oil instead of butter and such so it sounds more "authentic", but what do I know...I'm not Italian 😏  I just like eating their food...lol  Thanks for your recipe!!

• Like 1

Butter, not oil. Powdered sugar not regular sugar.

walnuts or pecans, both work.

Then , make a recipe that speaks to you. 

i have eaten these every Christmas of my life....and making them by myself for at least 50 years. It’s not Christmas without them!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, KatieinMich said:

Butter, not oil. Powdered sugar not regular sugar.

walnuts or pecans, both work.

Then , make a recipe that speaks to you. 

i have eaten these every Christmas of my life....and making them by myself for at least 50 years. It’s not Christmas without them!

Why are they called Italian Wedding cookies if you eat them at Christmas? Inquiring minds want to know.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, wintermom said:

Why are they called Italian Wedding cookies if you eat them at Christmas? Inquiring minds want to know.

Ha! I’d never even thought of that...

My (German) mom used to make them every Christmas, served alongside various other traditional German treats. So now I’m not sure if my above recipe is German or Italian or Russian or something else altogether. I wish I knew if they are from her childhood or something she started making as an adult. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ChrisB said:

Yummy!!!  That looks fabulous. Creative.

#1 can have almond extract in it except has no actual nut, although butter sounds much better than oil.  Since we're tempting each other with mouth-watering pictures :biggrin:, I give you recipe #1:

Italian Cookies

Those look yummy!

I've never seen them iced. I sprinkle mine with a light dusting of icing sugar. Love how colorful yours are! 🙂

• Like 1

On 12/3/2019 at 10:02 PM, wintermom said:

My Mom made a recipe from a very old cookbook and it was called Butterballs.  (She is 83 now and it was a cookbook she received as a wedding present.)  When I got married I found the recipe for Russian Teacakes in my Betty Crocker and recognized it as the Butterballs of my childhood. 

Since then I’ve learned they go by different names, but my family still refers to them as Butterballs. And we only make them at Christmas. 

Edited by KatieinMich
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, KatieinMich said:

My Mom made a recipe from a very old cookbook and it was called Butterballs.  (She is 83 now and it was a cookbook she received as a wedding present.)  When I got married I found the recipe for Russian Teacakes in my Betty Crocker and recognized it as the Butterballs of my childhood. 

Since then I’ve learned they go by different names, but my family still refers to them as Butterballs. And we only make them at Christmas. 

Yes, my mom used to make cookies like these at Christmas as well. I can't remember what she called them. They were tasty but weren't as good as the Danish vanilla cookie her aunt made, or the meringue cookies her mom made. At least I didn't think so. Too many delicious cookies to choose from, I think. 😉

Edited by wintermom