Menu

Recording unconventional class sequence on transcript

How would you put this on dd's transcript?

Eighth grade, she took the first semester of Lukeion's Latin 1, got an A, then enrolled in local parochial school for second semester, switched to their Latin 1 textbook, finished the year with an A.

Ninth grade, switched to local public school, switched to their textbook. They had a block system, so first semester was Latin 2, second semester was Latin 3. Got A's in both, but neither was at all rigorous. Hated public school, decided she wanted to return to homeschool for the next year, and wanted to go back to Lukeion for Latin 3. In order to catch up to Lukeion, spent second semester and summer working with a tutor to finish Wheelock's Latin. This was a huge amount of work, on top of her normal course load.

Tenth grade, Lukeion Latin 3 A and B, earned A's.

Would you bring up credit from eighth grade, and give her three years of high school Latin? Would you only count Latin 2 and 3,  which were completed in high school? Would you list the tutoring somehow?

She does also have a semester of French at the local community college, and will do one more semester this spring, so that will be French 1 and 2. So, technically she probably doesn't need to count three years of Latin. But she's worked so hard on it, including continuing self-study, that I want to recognize her work appropriately. And I know it's better to show three years of a single language.

Edited by Innisfree

Well, I'm a fan of simplifying to make it easy for the admission officer to understand how much credit was earned and with grade, so I'd save the textbooks for the separate Course Description document, and skip the tutor. The upshot is that she completed each credit, and with As.

Perhaps go with a subject-based transcript. Or a spread sheet type of transcript that breaks down by semester, and then footnotes to show where each credit was earned. Example:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 8th grade . . . . .9th grade . . . . 10th grade. . . .  11th grade . . . . 12th grade
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 
cr.      gr.. . . . . cr.      gr. . . . .  cr.      gr. . . . . . cr.      gr. . . . . .cr.      gr.

FOR LANG
Latin 1 Honors (1)  . . . . 1.00   A
Latin 2 (2)   . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1.00   A
Latin 3 (2)  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  1.00   A
Latin 3 Honors (1)  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1.00   A
French 101 (3) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1.00   A
French 102 (3) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1.00  A
FOR LANG TOTAL = 6.0 credits / 4.00 GPA
(1) = Lukeion online course provider; Honors level
(2) = XYZ Public High School, block schedule
(3) = ABC Community College, dual enrollment

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, Lori. I didn't mean I'd include the textbooks in the transcript, I probably confused my question by including that. 

So, you'd just list that Latin 1 was done in eighth grade? Would you count it as a credit?

I suppose I could explain the sequence of classes and the tutoring in my letter as counselor.

I had been toying with just listing classes completed by subject, without showing the year. Do you think it's important to include which year classes were taken?

23 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

I don’t like repetition of LAtin 3 because nobody will understand the rigor of Lukion and will instead wonder if the course was repeated due to weakness. 

This point has been worrying me, thanks. There was really just no comparison between the ps Latin 3 and Lukeion Latin 3.

52 minutes ago, Innisfree said:

(1) So, you'd just list that Latin 1 was done in eighth grade? Would you count it as a credit?
(2) I suppose I could explain the sequence of classes and the tutoring in my letter as counselor.
(3) I had been toying with just listing classes completed by subject, without showing the year. Do you think it's important to include which year classes were taken?

JMO:

(1) Yes, I personally would list Latin 1 done in 8th grade. Yes I would count it as a credit. Perhaps not include the grade in the cumulative GPA. But people "bring up" high school level courses done in middle school all the time when it is: Math that is Algebra 1 and above; Science when it is Biology and above; and Foreign Language when the student continues into higher levels of that language in high school. I personally think it shorts your student on their effort (esp. in this case of the highly rigorous Honors level Lukeion Latin 1) by NOT listing it. JMO!

(2) Roadrunner makes a good point about the repeat of Latin 3 -- BUT, when listed as Honors (which Lukeion IS of honors rigor), it makes sense (to me, anyways, LOL) that Latin 3 was repeated NOT due to "failure" but instead, to do it at a higher level. Because you will have to include the public high school transcript when applying to colleges, you WILL need to include both the Latin 2 and Latin 3 on the transcript. Which is why I listed it the way I did. Is it possibly that Lukeion's administration would back you in calling that Lukeion Latin 3 a "Latin 4" -- or do they offer an actual "Latin 4"? Hopefully someone else can think of a better way of doing it. 😉

(3) Depends on the college. Some require transcript by grade/year -- which is why I laid out the example the way I did; it allows you to group subjects, AND it includes grade/year.

ETA - PS
Back to (2) -- also, by listing the Lukeion Latin 1, and then it shows up again later as Latin 3, I think that really does imply even when it's just a list of courses, that the provider of Latin 2 and Latin 3 was weak, and that the student wanted the rigor of Honors through the Lukeion. At least, it looks that way to me. If you did not include the Latin 1, AND because you HAVE TO include the public school Latin 2 and 3, THAT would look a lot weaker to me. YMMV. 😉

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Got it! For the Lukeion Latin 3, what about calling it: "Latin: Advanced Studies" -- OR -- "Latin: Independent Studies."

This is honest (it IS advanced next to the public school Latin 3, and the student DID do independent study as part of it). This also gives credit as the student deserves (4 credits worth of Latin over 3 years). And it maintains the public high school course titles (which is absolutely vital for not raising red flags, since the public high school transcript will also be submitted and have "Latin 2" and "Latin 3" listed as the course titles).

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 8th grade . . . . .9th grade . . . . 10th grade. . . .  11th grade . . . . 12th grade
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 
cr.      gr.. . . . . cr.      gr. . . . .  cr.      gr. . . . . . cr.      gr. . . . . .cr.      gr.

FOR LANG
Latin 1 Honors (1)  . . . . 1.00   A
Latin 2 (2)   . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1.00   A
Latin 3 (2)  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  1.00   A
Latin: Adv. Studies (4)  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1.00   A
French 101 (3) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1.00   A
French 102 (3) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1.00  A
FOR LANG TOTAL = 6.0 credits / 4.00 GPA
(1) = Lukeion online course provider; Honors level
(2) = XYZ Public High School, block schedule
(3) = ABC Community College, dual enrollment
(4) = Lukeion online course provider + independent study

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2