Menu

What do you all use for reading?

g007girl

We've been using pathway readers. We like the stories, but sometimes it just seems like it's busy work. Is it really important to have an actual reading program? Or is it ok to just be reading books? I want to read books together but also have them reading for themselves. My boys are on track with reading. They don't seem to struggle with it. What do you all do?

That is,if the child can read on their own and is able to demonstrate that he knows what the story is about.I do like something for the middle and upper grades when the focus shifts to literary terms and the child needs to be able to demonstrate that he can understand more difficult pieces.I've found that my child would only read certain types of books if left to choose her own reading material,so I use a reading program in part to expose her to things like poetry and non-fiction.

Maybe,if we never had to do standardized testing,and I didn't have to report our plan of study to the educational authorities I wouldn't worry about that so much.As it is,I find it easier to document we are using such-and-such program rather than giving a long list of books that I am requiring my child to read.Maybe I just don't feel comfortable having someone else judge my reading choices.

As I guide of what to choose for kids to read aloud to/ with me, I use TWTM, Veritas Press, and library guides. These help me to choose books that are at the right reading level. I usually choose books equal or slightly above where their abilities are.

For pleasure reading, I let them pick whatever they have an interest in reading. If I feel they are consistently choosing below their reading level (like my 11yo dd) or have a very narrow reading interest (like my 9yo dd who would happily read dinosaur encyclopedias and paleontology textbooks all day, every day), I will buy them a book that I think will interest them and ask them to read that before they choose another book themselves.