Menu

CLE Algebra 1

My youngest just started using it this week. He didn't use CLE math at the lower levels, but he has used CLE for other subjects. The biggest benefit is definitely the ability to go back to the lesson where a forgotten concept was introduced earlier in the book. Another benefit is that the textbook can be reused by a sibling or resold.

My son said the instructions in the book are really clear, and I like that the answer key has each problem fully solved.

We're using Algebra I with the Light Units right now and I really wish I had waited to buy the textbook instead.  With either way you still have to copy the problems on separate paper (and that was the huge benefit of the LU's before IMO).  Like a PP said, it's tricky to find previously taught concepts and it's just a lot to keep up with since you can't just toss a used LU into the recycling like you can with other levels (as long as you have the TM for explanations).  The textbook also looks much more appealing and engaging, and while my dd doesn't really care about that, I think a lot of kids would enjoy it over the LU's.

• 4 weeks later...

We used the LU's last year for Algebra 1 and I found them easy to use, actually. I think my DS really liked the "accomplishment" of finishing a light unit rather than having a textbook that seemed to go on forever. We didn't copy the problems on a separate paper—my DS just worked in each LU. We never really had to go back further than 1-2 LU's if my DS needed a refresher after a holiday or some time off. Our LU's had the number of the lesson where the topic was taught next to each topic so finding an earlier topic in another LU was very easy. I kept  all the LU's while we were working through them but I didn't find keeping them a burden. Really, using the LU's was no problem for us.

Edited by CAtoVA

On 10/14/2019 at 10:55 PM, Paradox5 said:

The LUs were intended as the Beta version of the textbook. I believe the LUs will be discontinued now that the textbook is done. 

I don't think so, based on talking with them at a convention last June.  The rep actually said that so many people have asked for the workbook style light units that have space for writing that they may start producing them, although it won't be anytime soon.  He did not say that they will be phasing out the current softcover books yet. 

• Like 1