Menu

Is this okay for 8.5 year old?

Momma4

Hi, my son is 8.5yrs old (3rd Grade). He’s been independently writing a story over the past few days but I have no idea as to whether this is acceptable for his age. I think it’s great but I’m his mother. There are spelling and grammar mistakes but what do you think? Sometimes he’s written ‘my’ for ‘me’ but I think this was down to him rushing to get his thoughts out. He’s written about 5 pages so far  

There are no paragraphs as I haven’t taught that yet. He’s WWE 3 and FLL3. 

Sorry the pictures aren’t the best quality. 

3B2D8CD3-C298-42F9-ABBB-3A04036CB1B6.jpeg

E66EEAB6-28D2-4971-96F8-54E950EFCB10.jpeg

5 minutes ago, kand said:

I think it’s great! Learning when to start paragraphs, and especially starting new paragraphs for dialogue will help him out a lot, but I have found my kids take longer before they really get that down as well. I’m impressed with his cursive!

Does he mind all the corrections? When my kids are independently story writing, I just let them go and don’t correct anything unless they ask. I find time fixes those kind of errors you’re seeing, and I don’t want to discourage the writing. I make a mental note of anything that’s a particular  problem so that we can address during our school grammar or writing time. 

It looks like you have a writer on your hands!

Really?! Do you think?! I’ve been so worried as WWE is really a trust the process program and at times I’ve found that hard. 

He doesn’t seem to mind the corrections but now you say it, maybe I’ll just do as you said and make a mental note. 

Thanks for your reply. Xx

• 2 weeks later...